Astronomy- Initial Mass Function problem

In summary: In this case, you want the fraction above 8 solar masses, so you'll want to integrate from 8 solar masses to ##M_{max}##, then divide by the value you got for the whole range.
StillLearningToronto

1. Homework Statement

The Initial Mass Function (IMF) defines the distribution of stellar masses created in a star-forming event. The probability P(m)dm of forming a star with a mass between m and m + dm is given by
P(m)dm = km−α dm
where α is the exponent of the power law and k is a constant of proportionality determined by requiring that the probability integrated over all masses be equal to unity. For the Salpeter IMF, which is observed locally,
α = 2.35. If there is a collection of Ntot stars created all at once (e.g., in a cluster or an event in a galaxy), the number N(m)dm of stars with mass between m and m + dm is given by
N(m)dm = NtotP(m)dm
Note that the minimum mass of a star is about m = Mmin = 0.07 M and the maximum mass of a star is about
m = Mmax = 50 M.
SO
a)Symbolically derive an expression for the fraction of the number of stars with a mass above a mass Mref in terms of α, Mref , Mmin, and Mmax. HINT: This will require you to integrate N(m)dm. Make sure to note any conditions you need to impose to carry out the integration.

b)Stars with masses exceeding 8 M explode. Using your result for (b), work out for α = 2.35 the fraction of stars that have a mass above 8 M?

Homework Equations

P(m)dm = km−α dm
N(m)dm = NtotP(m)dm

The Attempt at a Solution

*note i have not taken a proper integration class, which a lot of my issues are coming from, so here's my attempt:
(Mmin//Integral S//Mmax)km^-Alpha dm
k (Mmin//Integral S//Mmax) (m^-alpha+1 dm)/-+1
(k(Mmax)^-alpha+1/-alpha+1) -k(Mmin)^-alpha+1)/-alpha+1
\frac{50^{-α+1}k-0.07^{-α+1}k}/{-α+1}

I know I need to solve for K but I am not sure how to.
After i solve for K for b) I need to somehow put in 8 solar masses, but I am also not sure where that goes into the equation.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
StillLearningToronto said:
I know I need to solve for K but I am not sure how to.
Since you're looking for the fraction of stars formed in some range of mass values, it would make sense if you normalized your function over the entire mass range to be unity. Then when you looked at a smaller range, it would give some value between zero and one, i.e. the fraction of the whole.
StillLearningToronto said:
After i solve for K for b) I need to somehow put in 8 solar masses, but I am also not sure where that goes into the equation.
You integrated between mass values of ##M_{min}## and ##M_{max}## to give you the total for the whole possible range. If you plug in other values for those variables, keeping the same value for k, you'll get the fraction of stars between those mass values.

1. What is the Initial Mass Function (IMF) problem in astronomy?

The IMF problem in astronomy refers to the challenge of accurately determining the distribution of masses of newly formed stars in a given stellar population. This is important because the IMF plays a crucial role in understanding the evolution and properties of galaxies.

2. What causes the IMF problem in astronomy?

The IMF problem is caused by the complex interplay of various physical processes, such as star formation, gas dynamics, and feedback from supernovae. These processes can affect the distribution of masses in a stellar population, making it difficult to determine the true IMF.

3. How do scientists study the IMF in astronomy?

Scientists study the IMF by observing and analyzing the properties of stars in different regions of the universe. This includes using telescopes to measure the masses of stars and studying their formation and evolution in different environments.

4. What are the implications of the IMF problem in astronomy?

The IMF problem has implications for our understanding of the formation and evolution of galaxies, as well as the distribution of elements and chemical enrichment in the universe. It also affects our ability to accurately model and predict the properties of star clusters and stellar populations.

5. Is there a definitive solution to the IMF problem in astronomy?

Currently, there is no definitive solution to the IMF problem in astronomy. However, ongoing research and advancements in observational and theoretical techniques are helping to improve our understanding of the IMF and its effects on the universe.