Initial Value problem 1st order ODE

In summary, the conversation discusses trying to understand a solution to a problem and finding the critical value for a constant of integration in an ODE. The general solution is given and the process of differentiating and setting the derivative to zero is explained. There is also a discussion about finding the critical initial value and its relevance to physical systems. The conversation ends with the mention of setting the constant of integration to zero as an alternative method for finding the critical value.
jellicorse

Homework Statement

I have been trying to follow a solution to a problem I had but do not quite understand the whole thing. I wondered if anybody could clear it up for me.

Let [tex]a_0[/tex] be the initial value of 'a' for which the transition from one type of behaviour to another occurs.

The general solution to the ODE is [tex]y=(a+3)e^{\frac{t}{2}}-3e^{\frac{t}{3}}[/tex]

So to get the critical value between a divergence in behaviour for this equation is when [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=0[/tex]

Differentiating the general solution gives:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}= \frac{1}{2}(a+3)e^{\frac{t}{2}}-e^{\frac{t}{3}}[/tex]

[tex] 0 =\frac{1}{2}(a+3)e^{\frac{t}{2}}-e^{\frac{t}{3}}[/tex]

Up to here I understand the working. But the next step doesn't make any sense to me where they say "The functions of [tex]e^{\frac{t}{3}}[/tex] and [tex]e^{\frac{t}{2}}[/tex] are not equal to zero..." That's OK but I don't see how it leads to this: "...so each term on the RHS is independently zero"

According to their solution, this leads to [tex]\frac{1}{2}(a+3)=0[/tex], and so on.

There are two things I am having difficulty with here:

• I don't understand what is meant by "each term on the RHS is independently zero". Surely if [tex]e^{\frac{t}{3}}\neq 0[/tex] then [tex](\frac{a+3}{2})e^{\frac{t}{2}}=e^{\frac{t}{3}}[/tex] to make the entire expression zero?

• This is just a general example and it's not stated that it models anything in reality. But if this was a ODE to represent reality and 't' represented time, wouldn't it make sense to find the critical initial value by differentiating wrt 't' and then find the value of y(0), when t=0?

I would be very grateful if anyone could give me some pointers!

Physics news on Phys.org
jellicorse said:

Homework Statement

I have been trying to follow a solution to a problem I had but do not quite understand the whole thing. I wondered if anybody could clear it up for me.

Let [tex]a_0[/tex] be the initial value of 'a' for which the transition from one type of behaviour to another occurs.

The general solution to the ODE is [tex]y=(a+3)e^{\frac{t}{2}}-3e^{\frac{t}{3}}[/tex]

So to get the critical value between a divergence in behaviour for this equation is when [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=0[/tex]

Differentiating the general solution gives:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}= \frac{1}{2}(a+3)e^{\frac{t}{2}}-e^{\frac{t}{3}}[/tex]

[tex] 0 =\frac{1}{2}(a+3)e^{\frac{t}{2}}-e^{\frac{t}{3}}[/tex]

Up to here I understand the working. But the next step doesn't make any sense to me where they say "The functions of [tex]e^{\frac{t}{3}}[/tex] and [tex]e^{\frac{t}{2}}[/tex] are not equal to zero..." That's OK but I don't see how it leads to this: "...so each term on the RHS is independently zero"

According to their solution, this leads to [tex]\frac{1}{2}(a+3)=0[/tex], and so on.

There are two things I am having difficulty with here:

I don't understand what is meant by "each term on the RHS is independently zero".

I don't understand that either, and I cannot conceive of a meaning of "zero" for which it can be said that [itex]e^{t/3}[/itex] is "zero", although the author does get the correct answer.

Surely if [tex]e^{\frac{t}{3}}\neq 0[/tex] then [tex](\frac{a+3}{2})e^{\frac{t}{2}}=e^{\frac{t}{3}}[/tex] to make the entire expression zero?[/LIST]

Setting the derivative to zero tells you the value(s) of [itex]t[/itex] at which [itex]y(t)[/itex] has a critical point. You can then try to work out whether, depending on the value of [itex]a[/itex], there are any critical points in [itex]t > 0[/itex] and, if so, whether they are local maxima, minima, or points of inflection by considering the second derivative. That information will tell you whether [itex]y[/itex] is eventually increasing or decreasing.

Alternatively you can observe that [itex]y(t) = e^{t/2}(3 + a - 3e^{-t/6})[/itex], so that [itex]y \to + \infty[/itex] if [itex]3 + a > 0[/itex] and [itex]y \to -\infty[/itex] if [itex]3 + a \leq 0[/itex], so the critical value is [itex]a = -3[/itex].

• This is just a general example and it's not stated that it models anything in reality. But if this was a ODE to represent reality and 't' represented time, wouldn't it make sense to find the critical initial value by differentiating wrt 't' and then find the value of y(0), when t=0?

Having found the critical values of the constant of integration by some means, you can then indeed find corresponding critical initial values by substituting them into the general solution and setting [itex]t = 0[/itex]. That's what the author has done here, by the cunning method of writing [itex]Ae^{t/2} - 3e^{t/3}[/itex] as [itex](3 + a)e^{t/2} - 3e^{t/3}[/itex] so that [itex]y(0) = a = A - 3[/itex].

Whether the ODE is asserted to a be model of any physical system is entirely irrelevant here. Critical values are critical because the mathematics says they are.

Thanks a lot pasmith. I'm beginning to understand it now.

Just in terms of finding the critical value of the constant of integration I think I can see that
you can observe that [tex]y(t)=e^{\frac{t}{2}}(3+a−3e^{-\frac{t}{6}})[/tex], so that y→+∞ if 3+a>0 and y→−∞ if 3+a≤0, so the critical value is a=−3.

But I'm not too sure about any alternative way to find [tex]a_0[/tex].

It seems that in all the examples I have done up until now the equilibrium solution has occurred where c=0. I don't know if this is just a co-incidence: if it isn't, it would make finding the critical value for the constant of integration easy: just set it so that the constant of integration =0.

Related to Initial Value problem 1st order ODE

What is an Initial Value Problem for a 1st order ODE?

An Initial Value Problem (IVP) for a 1st order Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE) is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies a given differential equation and also satisfies certain conditions at a specific point. These conditions typically include the value of the function and its derivative at the given point.

What is the general form of an Initial Value Problem for a 1st order ODE?

The general form of an Initial Value Problem for a 1st order ODE is y' = f(x,y) with the initial condition y(x0) = y0, where x is the independent variable, y is the dependent variable, f(x,y) is the given differential equation, x0 is the given point, and y0 is the given value of the function at that point.

What is the method for solving an Initial Value Problem for a 1st order ODE?

The most common method for solving an Initial Value Problem for a 1st order ODE is the Euler's Method. This method involves using a step-by-step approach to approximate the solution to the given differential equation. Other methods include the Runge-Kutta Method and the Shooting Method.

What are the applications of Initial Value Problems for 1st order ODEs?

Initial Value Problems for 1st order ODEs are used in various fields of science and engineering to model and understand real-world phenomena. They are commonly used in physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and many other disciplines to study the behavior of dynamic systems.

What are the challenges in solving an Initial Value Problem for a 1st order ODE?

The main challenges in solving an Initial Value Problem for a 1st order ODE include finding an appropriate method to solve the given differential equation, determining the correct initial conditions, and ensuring the accuracy and stability of the solution. Some problems may also involve complex or non-linear equations that require advanced mathematical techniques to solve.