Initial Velocity and Energy Conservation for Disk Collision

In summary, disk P with an inertia of 0.41 kg collides with disk Q, initially at rest and with an inertia of 0.75 kg, on a low-friction horizontal surface. After the collision, the two disks, now slightly dented, move apart without spinning. The initial velocity of disk P and the fraction of initial kinetic energy converted during the collision can be determined using the conservation of momentum equation: m1 v1i + m2 v2i = m1 v1f + m2 v2f. In this case, the equation can also be written in terms of x and y components.
xxphysics

Homework Statement

Disk P (inertia 0.41 kg ) moves at an unknown velocity across a low-friction horizontal surface and collides with disk Q (inertia 0.75 kg ), which is initially at rest. After the collision, the two (now slightly dented) disks move apart without spinning. Velocity information is provided in the initial and final top-view diagrams in the (Figure 1) .

What was the initial velocity of disk P?
What fraction of the initial kinetic energy is converted during the collision?
Mazur1e.ch10.p64.jpg

Homework Equations

v1im1 + v2im2 = v1fm1 + v2fm2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know you use conservation of momentum, but I'm not entirely sure how to set up the equations to include theta.

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum is a vector quantity. So, the relevant equation is a vector equation

m1 v1i + m2 v2i = m1 v1f + m2 v2f

In terms of x components:

m1 v1ix + m2 v2ix = m1 v1fx + m2 v2fx

(There is a similar equation for the y components.)

What is initial velocity with angles?

Initial velocity with angles refers to the speed and direction at which an object is launched or thrown. It is an important component in calculating the trajectory and motion of the object.

How is initial velocity with angles calculated?

The initial velocity with angles can be calculated using the formula V0 = V * cos(θ), where V is the initial speed and θ is the launch angle.

What happens to the initial velocity with angles if the launch angle changes?

If the launch angle changes, the initial velocity with angles will also change. This is because the launch angle affects the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity differently.

What is the relationship between initial velocity with angles and range?

The initial velocity with angles has a direct relationship with the range of the object. This means that a higher initial velocity with a certain launch angle will result in a longer range, while a lower initial velocity will result in a shorter range.

How does air resistance affect initial velocity with angles?

Air resistance can greatly affect the initial velocity with angles, especially for objects with larger surface areas. It can slow down the object and change its trajectory, resulting in a shorter range and a different final landing point.