Inner Product Between States of Multiple Particles

In summary, the given identity can be proved by using the commutation relations to bring one annihilation operator to the right, leading to 0, and using the fact that the only building block needed is the commutator of two creation and annihilation operators. This entire exercise can be formalized using Wick's theorem and Feynman diagrams.
Wledig
$$<p_1 p_2|p_A p_B> = \sqrt{2E_1 2E_2 2E_A 2E_B}<0|a_1 a_2 a_{A}^{\dagger} a_{B}^{\dagger} |0>$$ $$=2E_A2E_B(2\pi)^6(\delta^{(3)}(p_A-p_1)\delta{(3)}(p_B-p_2) + \delta^{(3)}(p_A-p_2)\delta^{(3)}(p_B-p_1))$$

The identity above seemed easy, until I tried to prove it. I figured I could work this out backwards opening all the commutators:

$$[a_A,a_{1}^{\dagger}]\cdot[a_B,a_{2}^{\dagger}]+[a_A,a_{2}^{\dagger}]\cdot[a_B,a_{1}^{\dagger}]$$

My idea was that this would reduce to ##a_1 a_2 a_{A}^{\dagger} a_{B}^{\dagger}##, but that just didn't happen. What am I overlooking here?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should use the commutation relations to bring one annihilation operator to the very right, leading to 0, because it annihilates the vacuum state. The only building block you really need is that (obviously in your convention of normalization of the momentum states),
$$[\hat{a}_1,\hat{a}_2^{\dagger}]=(2 \pi)^3 \delta^{(3)}(\vec{p}_1-\vec{p}_2).$$

Ok, I tried it again. This time I tried doing it directly using the commutator relation to open the ##a_2a_{A}^{\dagger}## term, but I seem to be getting a sign error somehow:
$$a_1((2\pi)^3\delta^3(p_2-p_A)+a_{A}^{\dagger}a_2)a_{B}^{\dagger} $$
$$=a_1 a_{B}^{\dagger}(2\pi)^3\delta^3(p_2-p_A)+ a_1a_{A}^{\dagger}a_2a_{B}^{\dagger}$$
$$=((2\pi)^3\delta^3(p_1-p_B)+\underbrace{a_{B}^{\dagger}a_1}_0)((2\pi)^3\delta^3(p_2-p_A))+a_1a_{A}^{\dagger}((2\pi)^3\delta^3(p_2-p_B)+\underbrace{a_{B}^{\dagger}a_2}_0)$$

$$=(2\pi)^6(\delta^3(p_1-p_B)\delta^3(p_2-p_A)+\delta^3(p_2-p_A)+\delta^3(p_1-p_A)\delta^3(p_2-p_B))$$

I don't see, where you get the 2nd term in the bracket from, and then there's everything fine.

Likes Wledig
I did the same thing that I had done with ##a_2a_{A}^{\dagger}##, but this time for ##a_2 a_{B}^{\dagger}##:

$$a_2 a_{B}^{\dagger} = [a_2,a_{B}^{\dagger}] + a_{B}^{\dagger}a_2$$

I did this to ##a_1 a_{B}^{\dagger}## and ##a_1 a_{A}^{\dagger}## too. The result is pretty close to what I wanted, but not the same. I should somehow be getting commutator terms like ##[a_{A},a_{2}^{\dagger}]## to account for ##\delta^{3}(p_A-p_2)## for example.

Nevermind, you're right. It's the same thing as the expression I wanted, since: $$\delta^3(p_A-p_2)=\delta^3(-(p_2-p_A) )= \frac{\delta^3(p_2-p_A)}{|-1|}=\delta^3(p_2-p_A)$$
Everything is fine.

Note that this entire exercise is formalized in "Wick's theorem" and finally written in an ingenious notation as Feynman diagrams!

1. What is an inner product between states of multiple particles?

An inner product between states of multiple particles is a mathematical operation that takes two quantum states and produces a single complex number. It is a way to measure the similarity or overlap between two quantum states.

2. How is the inner product between states of multiple particles calculated?

The inner product between states of multiple particles is calculated by taking the complex conjugate of one state and multiplying it by the other state. This is then integrated over all possible values of the particles' variables.

3. What is the significance of the inner product between states of multiple particles?

The inner product between states of multiple particles is significant because it allows us to calculate the probability of measuring a particular state when the system is in a superposition of multiple states. It also plays a crucial role in quantum entanglement and quantum teleportation.

4. Can the inner product between states of multiple particles be negative?

Yes, the inner product between states of multiple particles can be negative. This indicates that the two states are orthogonal, meaning they have no overlap or similarity.

5. How is the inner product between states of multiple particles related to the concept of quantum states?

The inner product between states of multiple particles is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is closely related to the concept of quantum states. It allows us to calculate the probability of measuring a particular state and understand the behavior of quantum systems.