Inner Product vs. Dot Product Confusion in Quantum Physics?

In summary, the inner product is defined differently in different sources, but the main properties remain the same, such as linearity and the use of conjugates for complex components.
lawlieto
I started learning quantum, and I got a bit confused about inner and dot products.
I've attached 2 screenshots; 1 from Wikipedia and 1 from an MIT pdf I found online.

Wikipedia says that a.Dot(b) when they're complex would be the sum of aibi where b is the complex conjugate.

The PDF from MIT (https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics...all-2013/lecture-notes/MIT8_05F13_Chap_04.pdf) page 2 says that the inner product is taken <a|b>, then when doing a1b1+a2b3+... the complex conjugate of a is taken. I thought this would be the same thing as taking the dot product with complex numbers (like what I mentioned above in the 2nd paragraph). But in the dot product, the complex conjugate of b is taken, whereas here the complex conjugate of a is taken.

Could someone demystify this for me please?

Thanks

Attachments

• wikipedia.png
    wikipedia.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 426
  • MIT screenshot.png
    MIT screenshot.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
lawlieto said:
I started learning quantum, and I got a bit confused about inner and dot products.
I've attached 2 screenshots; 1 from Wikipedia and 1 from an MIT pdf I found online.

Wikipedia says that a.Dot(b) when they're complex would be the sum of aibi where b is the complex conjugate.

The PDF from MIT (https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics...all-2013/lecture-notes/MIT8_05F13_Chap_04.pdf) page 2 says that the inner product is taken <a|b>, then when doing a1b1+a2b3+... the complex conjugate of a is taken. I thought this would be the same thing as taking the dot product with complex numbers (like what I mentioned above in the 2nd paragraph). But in the dot product, the complex conjugate of b is taken, whereas here the complex conjugate of a is taken.

Could someone demystify this for me please?
In the MIT materials they are defining an inner product as they show in equation 1.4. There are many ways that an inner product can be defined, including the one you show from the Wikipedia article.

Likes lawlieto
Mark44 said:
In the MIT materials they are defining an inner product as they show in equation 1.4. There are many ways that an inner product can be defined, including the one you show from the Wikipedia article.

Thanks for your reply, so it's just a matter of how you define it? But then you could define anything to be anything?

lawlieto said:
Thanks for your reply, so it's just a matter of how you define it? But then you could define anything to be anything?
No, it has to satisfy some properties like linearity in its arguments. Another requirement is usually, that ##\langle a,a \rangle \geq 0##. In the case of complex components, this is the reason for the conjugate in either of the arguments. Whether you choose the first or second doesn't matter, just don't confuse them.

Although not required, it is customary to take the complex conjugate of the right hand term.

1. What is an inner product or dot product?

An inner product, also known as a dot product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a scalar value as output. It is often used in linear algebra and vector calculus to measure the similarity or length of two vectors.

2. How is the inner product calculated?

The inner product is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors together and then summing the results. For example, if the two vectors are represented as [a1, a2, a3] and [b1, b2, b3], the inner product would be calculated as a1 * b1 + a2 * b2 + a3 * b3.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of the inner product?

The inner product can be interpreted geometrically as the product of the lengths of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. This means that the inner product is larger when the two vectors are more similar in direction and smaller when they are more perpendicular to each other.

4. How is the inner product used in applications?

The inner product has many applications, including in physics, engineering, and machine learning. It is used to calculate work and energy in physics, to determine the angle between two vectors in geometry, and to measure the similarity of data points in machine learning algorithms.

5. Can the inner product be negative?

Yes, the inner product can be negative. This occurs when the two vectors are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for the cosine of the angle between them. In this case, the inner product represents the difference between the two vectors rather than their similarity.