Inner product propety with Scalar Matrix (Proof)

In summary, we can prove that (A|v>)*|w> = |v>*(A†|w>) by considering the elements of the matrix A and vectors |v> and |w>. Through properties of inner product spaces and the hermitian conjugate, we can show that the left and right hand sides are equal.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let A be an nxn matrix, and let |v>, |w> ∈ℂ. Prove that (A|v>)*|w> = |v>*(A†|w>)

† = hermitian conjugate

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Struggling to start this one. I'm sure this one is likely relatively quick and painless, but I need to identify the trick behind it.

Are there any tips?

My only current thought is to use the properties of inner products. Should I look at each element of the matrix A one by one?

Physics news on Phys.org
How is this for a solution:

Writing in sum notation, we note that matrix A has corresponding eigenvalue such that A|v_i> = t|v_i>

We replace it in the left hand side so that
t|v_i>|w_i> = |v_i>A†|w_i>

Now, since the hermitian conjugate takes the transpose and the complex conjugate, we see that

A^T^*|w_i> = t*|w_i>

Applying properties of inner product spaces, to take the scalar t* out of the right hand side, we take its complex conjugate.

So we are left with
t|v_i>|w_i> on both sides

The problem that I am having right now is this:

A^T^* (|w_i>) = t*|w_i>
where T is transpose and * is complex conjugate

I know that the eigenvalues of a matrix and it's transpose are equal. But that does mean that the eigenvalues of a complex matrix and its conjugate are off by conjugation?

If so, this proof is concluded.

RJLiberator said:
Writing in sum notation, we note that matrix A has corresponding eigenvalue such that A|v_i> = t|v_i>
I don't understand why you are assuming that |v> is an eigenvector of A.

I would do the proof by considering the elements of the matrix and the vectors. For instance, defining |u> = A|v>, we have
$$
u_i = \sum_j A_{ij} v_j
$$
and so on.

1. What is the definition of an inner product property with scalar matrix?

The inner product property with scalar matrix is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between a vector and a scalar multiple of that vector. It states that the inner product of a scalar multiple of a vector with another vector is equal to the scalar multiple of the inner product of the original vector with the other vector.

2. How is the inner product property with scalar matrix used in linear algebra?

The inner product property with scalar matrix is an important tool in linear algebra for calculating the inner product of vectors and for proving various theorems. It is also used in the analysis of matrices and their properties, such as orthogonality and unitarity.

3. Can you provide an example of the inner product property with scalar matrix?

Yes, for example, if we have two vectors a and b and a scalar c, the inner product of the scalar multiple of a with b is equal to the scalar multiple of the inner product of a with b. Mathematically, this can be represented as c(a*b) = (ca)*b.

4. How is the inner product property with scalar matrix proven?

The inner product property with scalar matrix can be proven using the properties of inner product and scalar multiplication. It involves expanding the inner product and scalar multiplication expressions and then applying the properties to show that they are equal.

5. What is the significance of the inner product property with scalar matrix in real-world applications?

The inner product property with scalar matrix has numerous applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. It is used in signal processing, data compression, and image processing, among others. It also plays a crucial role in the development of algorithms and data structures for efficient computation and storage of data.