Input capacitance discrepancy -- schematic post layout and parasitic capacitance

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of measuring input capacitance on a clock pin in both post layout extracted netlist and schematic. The output in the post layout is 1.58fF while in the schematic it is 0.6fF. The speaker has found the parasitics in the clock pin to be 0.4fF, but is unable to account for the remaining 0.58fF in the post layout. They mention using Calibre PEX for measurement and explain that there may be more effective capacitance coupled to other nets than ground. They also mention that looking at the SPF file can be deceiving due to the introduction of new nets into the netlist. The speaker measures the capacitance
reddvoid
Hi,
I have a post layout extracted netlist, In which I am interested in input capacitance on clock pin,
If i measure clock pin input capacitance on post layout extracted netlist, I am getting 1.58fF
and when I measure the same in schematic, I am getting 0.6fF
and I am able to find the paracitics in the clock pin to be 0.4fF (from .spf file)

so the schematic cap + Parasitic cap. should add up to post layout cap right ?
I am not able to trace where the remaining 0.58fF coming from in post layout cap.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How are you measuring the capacitance in the post-layout extracted netlist? Are you using Calibre PEX? If so you should be aware that often there is more effective capacitance coupled to other nets than ground but often people have the report set up to return capacitance to ground.

Be aware that looking at the SPF file can be deceiving. Calibre (or similar extraction tools) often introduce new nets into the netlist (for example for series cap structures) and these add up to the total cap on a logical net even though you won't capture them if you just grep for a specific net name.

I am measuring cap by giving a ramp voltage to the pin getting the charge delivered and dividing it by voltage final value.
Thanks for the SPF info. didn't know about this, but what would be the percent of cap due to this new nets introduced compared to total parasitic cap ?

Related to Input capacitance discrepancy -- schematic post layout and parasitic capacitance

1. What is input capacitance discrepancy?

Input capacitance discrepancy refers to the difference between the input capacitance value specified in the schematic and the actual input capacitance observed in the layout of a circuit. This can be caused by parasitic capacitance, which are unintended capacitances that arise due to the physical layout and construction of the circuit.

2. How does parasitic capacitance affect input capacitance discrepancy?

Parasitic capacitance can add to the total input capacitance of a circuit, leading to a discrepancy between the expected and actual values. This can cause issues such as signal distortion and timing errors in the circuit.

3. What causes parasitic capacitance?

Parasitic capacitance is caused by various factors such as the proximity of conductive elements, the dielectric material used, and the geometry and spacing of the circuit components. It is an inherent characteristic of electronic circuits and cannot be completely eliminated.

4. How can input capacitance discrepancy be minimized?

To minimize input capacitance discrepancy, it is important to consider the parasitic capacitance during the design phase and make adjustments to the layout accordingly. This can include increasing the spacing between components, using lower capacitance materials, and optimizing the circuit geometry.

5. Are there any tools or techniques to measure and account for parasitic capacitance?

Yes, there are various simulation and modeling tools available that can help in estimating and accounting for parasitic capacitance in a circuit. Additionally, techniques such as post-layout extraction and measurement of the actual input capacitance can also be used to validate the design and make necessary adjustments.