Input/output coupling of a cavity

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of input/output coupling for bow-tie optical cavities. The speaker suggests that for optical parametric oscillators, the curved mirrors should not be partially reflecting in order to achieve mode matching. For a generic bow-tie cavity with all planar mirrors, the arrangement of mirrors may not make a significant difference unless it is highly asymmetric. In this case, the speaker suggests testing empirically on a breadboard rather than using the Fresnel equations. They also inquire about the purpose of the bow-tie cavity in order to provide more tailored information.
kelly0303
Hello! I am reading some stuff about building optical cavities, mainly a bow-tie cavity. Is there anything special about the input/output coupling in terms of design? I understand that these are the mirrors used to send the light inside the cavity and read some signal out of the cavity, but are they different in any way from the other (2) mirrors in terms or properties i.e. can I use any of the 4 mirrors as input or output coupling or they have to be special in a given way? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I probably don't have the answer you were looking for, but my limited understanding is that bow-tie cavities are primarily used for optical parametric oscillators (OPO), where two mirrors will be curved to increase intensity in the nonlinear crystal. In this case, you don't want to make the curved mirrors partially reflecting, otherwise you won't get mode matching. That leaves you with two equally good choices (the non-curved mirrors), and in enclosed lasers the choice is usually made by the physical layout.

For a generic bow-tie cavity with all planar mirrors, I don't think it makes much difference unless the arrangement of mirrors is highly asymmetric. If you were determined to find out, the highly asymmetric case could be solved by an ugly and arduous application of the Fresnel equations to each mirror. To be real here, it would be faster to test this empirically on a breadboard than it would be to prove a priori. What you would be looking for is at which positions the output coupler is least likely to support parasitic oscillations (internal reflections in the coupler).

Sorry if this info is too specific to certain applications. Can you tell us more about what the bow-tie is for? That might allow us to provide info better suited to your needs

1. What is input/output coupling of a cavity?

Input/output coupling of a cavity refers to the process of transferring electromagnetic energy into and out of a resonant cavity. This is typically done using antennas or waveguides.

2. Why is input/output coupling important in cavity-based experiments?

Input/output coupling is important because it allows for the controlled injection and extraction of electromagnetic energy into and out of a cavity. This is necessary for performing experiments and measurements on the properties of the cavity and its contents.

3. How does input/output coupling affect the performance of a cavity?

The efficiency of input/output coupling can greatly impact the performance of a cavity. Poor coupling can result in energy loss and decreased signal strength, while optimal coupling can lead to better signal-to-noise ratios and more accurate measurements.

4. What are some common methods for input/output coupling of a cavity?

Some common methods for input/output coupling of a cavity include using coaxial cables, waveguides, and antennas. The specific method used will depend on the type and size of the cavity, as well as the frequency range of the experiment.

5. How can input/output coupling be optimized for a specific cavity?

Input/output coupling can be optimized by carefully selecting the type and placement of the coupling components, as well as by adjusting the impedance matching between the cavity and the coupling elements. This can be done through simulations and experimental testing to find the best configuration for the specific cavity and experiment.