Input Resistance of this BJT Amplifier

In summary: What do you find for Zin for the BJT amplifier circuit?I don't know what Zin is for the BJT amplifier circuit.
IronaSona
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
Hi i got a question ,how do i calculate the input resistance ,of the RS resistor ,so i would get half of the voltage of the voltage source (500mA) .I've created the circuit in ltspice and found out that its around 95K ohms to get 250mA,but how would i calculate it .

Ive also attached my calculations which i used to get 1.5vpp

Attachments

• Simulation.PNG
    Simulation.PNG
    2.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Choose VE1 so that Vcc10_VE1_Vcc3 (Vcc=18V).pdf
    74.1 KB · Views: 148
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
IronaSona said:
Homework Statement:: .
Relevant Equations:: .

Hi i got a question ,how do i calculate the input resistance ,of the RS resistor ,so i would get half of the voltage of the voltage source (500mA) .I've created the circuit in ltspice and found out that its around 95K ohms to get 250mA,but how would i calculate it .

Ive also attached my calculations which i used to get 1.5vpp
Do you mean microamps not milliamps?

tech99 said:
The input resistance of a common emitter transistor tends to be around 1 k, so your figure of 95k does not sound correct. A useful website here: https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/semiconductors/chpt-4/amplifier-impedances/

• Informative
Likes Delta2
tech99 said:
The input resistance of a common emitter transistor tends to be around 1 k, so your figure of 95k does not sound correct. A useful website here: https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/semiconductors/chpt-4/amplifier-impedances/
Nope. That site has a common emitter with no emitter resistor, while the OP has a large emitter resistor. I get that the input impedance looking into the base of Q1 is much larger than 1k Ohm.

IronaSona, based on your spice model your signal is 500 mV, not 500 mA.

jason

Likes Delta2
For DC signaals yes, but for AC signals the emitter resistor is bypassed by a capacitor, so it seems to me that it does not have an effect.

tech99 said:
For DC signaals yes, but for AC signals the emitter resistor is bypassed by a capacitor, so it seems to me that it does not have an effect.
Perhaps I did the arithmetic wrong, but at 1 kHz a 50 nF capacitor has an impedance of about -i3185 Ohms, so at 1kHz you cannot treat it as a short.

tech99 said:
milivolts

jasonRF said:
Nope. That site has a common emitter with no emitter resistor, while the OP has a large emitter resistor. I get that the input impedance looking into the base of Q1 is much larger than 1k Ohm.

IronaSona, based on your spice model your signal is 500 mV, not 500 mA.

jason
yes sorry milivolts

tech99 said:
But if i change the resistor to anything else besides 90k to 96k , ill get smaller or bigger output voltage than i want right.?

IronaSona said:
But if i change the resistor to anything else besides 90k to 96k , ill get smaller or bigger output voltage than i want right.?
When I did a back of the envelope calculation I recall getting something between 80k and 90k Ohms. It depends on the assumed gain of the transistor. The spec sheet says between 200 and 450 (that is what the ‘B’ designation means). What does your spice model use? It will be listed as ‘Bf=some number’ in the .model statement.
Jason

In any case, the heart of the question is about computing the input impedance of a common emitter amplifier. Have you covered this in your class, or does your textbook explain it?

jasonRF said:
In any case, the heart of the question is about computing the input impedance of a common emitter amplifier. Have you covered this in your class, or does your textbook explain it?
Ive tried looking again but couldn't find anything ,but i did find somewhere in my notes which says that RS=RC1=8625 so that means that RS has to be 8625 too right ?

IronaSona said:
Ive tried looking again but couldn't find anything ,but i did find somewhere in my notes which says that RS=RC1=8625 so that means that RS has to be 8625 too right ?
No, that makes no sense to me.

What do you find for Zin for the BJT amplifier circuit? You are simulating the circuit after all...

Last edited:
Likes jasonRF

What is the input resistance of a BJT amplifier?

The input resistance of a BJT amplifier refers to the resistance seen at the input terminal of the amplifier. It is a measure of how much the input voltage changes for a given change in the input current.

Why is the input resistance of a BJT amplifier important?

The input resistance of a BJT amplifier is important because it determines the amount of signal that can be effectively transferred from the input to the output. A higher input resistance allows for a greater range of input signals to be amplified, resulting in a more versatile and efficient amplifier.

How is the input resistance of a BJT amplifier calculated?

The input resistance of a BJT amplifier can be calculated by dividing the change in input voltage by the change in input current. It can also be calculated using the formula: Rin = (β + 1) * Re, where β is the current gain of the transistor and Re is the emitter resistance.

What factors affect the input resistance of a BJT amplifier?

The input resistance of a BJT amplifier is affected by several factors, including the type and characteristics of the transistor used, the value of the emitter resistance, and the frequency of the input signal. Additionally, the biasing of the transistor and the configuration of the amplifier circuit can also impact the input resistance.

How can the input resistance of a BJT amplifier be increased?

The input resistance of a BJT amplifier can be increased by using a transistor with a higher current gain, increasing the value of the emitter resistance, and using a common emitter configuration. Additionally, using negative feedback can also increase the input resistance of the amplifier.