Inquiry Regarding the Determination of the Galactic Disk's Outer Bound

MountKobau
I have recently read research papers that mention that disk stars have been found up to distances as far as 25 kpc from the milky way galactic center and possibly even up to distances as far as 31 kpc. I was wondering if there is a particular distance (or distance range) observed where the galactic disk ends/reaches its edge and no disk stars are being observed and measured at? Or is it possible that the exponential disk continues (albeit at very low densities) to very large distances (> 200 kpc)?

My next question is a follow up to the first, Is there a upper limit to the size the galactic disk of the milky way can theoretically attain (in terms of R in kpc)? Or is possible for the disk to go on indefinitely (but just very hard to detect at very large distances due to low density, lack of data and powerful enough telescopes)? If there is a limit, what would be the limiting factors?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
MountKobau said:
Is there a upper limit to the size the galactic disk of the milky way can theoretically attain
The Milky way is approximately 100,000 light years across and I'm not aware of any reason that it will change size in the next many trillions of years, probably longer.

I have no idea how far out disk stars have been seen, or are likely to be, but I can't think of any reason why they could not exist pretty much out to the edge (which is 15kparsecs from the center so NOT consistent with the findings you "quote" which imply a much greater size for the galaxy than is correct).

Also, just FYI "I have recently read research papers" is NOT considered an acceptable citation here. Be specific.

phinds said:
The Milky way is approximately 100,000 light years across and I'm not aware of any reason that it will change size in the next many trillions of years, probably longer.

I have no idea how far out disk stars have been seen, or are likely to be, but I can't think of any reason why they could not exist pretty much out to the edge (which is 15kparsecs from the center so NOT consistent with the findings you "quote" which imply a much greater size for the galaxy than is correct).

Also, just FYI "I have recently read research papers" is NOT considered an acceptable citation here. Be specific.
Link to the paper mentioned: https://www.aanda.org/articles/aa/full_html/2018/04/aa32880-18/aa32880-18.html

If the diameter of the disk really is 100,000 light years across - which I don't think has been proven by direct observations (if it has please share these observations) - it will definitely change when the MW collides with M31 in 4.5 billions years.

MountKobau said:
it will definitely change when the MW collides with M31 in 4.5 billions years.
How is that relevant to measurements today?

Let's please stick with light years or parsecs and not mix them.

Ballpark, the MW radius is 15 kpc. This is not a sharp boundary - how could there be? That stars are seen at 2R does not surprise me. They could be just on the tails of the distribution, or stars whose orbits have been disrupted by gravitational interactions with nearby stars.

Likes Bystander
Vanadium 50 said:
How is that relevant to measurements today?
Thanks for the response, it is not relevant to the measurement today, I was responding to the comment saying the measurement won't change for "next many trillions of years".

Likes Structure seeker
How do we define the edge of Solar System disc for comparison?

When you are looking at objects present in the outskirts of either, you can classify them by type of orbit:
  1. Low inclination, low eccentricity
  2. Low inclination, high eccentricity
  3. High inclination, high eccentricity
  4. High inclination, low eccentricity
  5. Unbound, first outbound leg
  6. Unbound, inbound leg or second leg
So where does "disc" end? Is it where 1) drops off to the random expected amount compared to 4), or where 1+2) combined match the statistical expected fraction from 3+4)?

1. What is the purpose of determining the galactic disk's outer bound?

The purpose of determining the galactic disk's outer bound is to gain a better understanding of the structure and size of our galaxy. This information can also help us to study the distribution of stars and gas in the galaxy, as well as the dynamics of its rotation.

2. How is the galactic disk's outer bound determined?

The galactic disk's outer bound is determined through various methods, such as studying the distribution of stars and gas, analyzing the rotation curve of the galaxy, and using advanced telescopes and instruments to observe the outer regions of the galaxy.

3. What is the current estimated size of the galactic disk's outer bound?

The current estimated size of the galactic disk's outer bound is approximately 100,000 light years. However, this number is constantly being refined and updated as new data and technology become available.

4. How does the determination of the galactic disk's outer bound impact our understanding of the universe?

The determination of the galactic disk's outer bound is important because it helps us to understand the scale and structure of our own galaxy, which in turn can provide insights into the formation and evolution of other galaxies in the universe. It also allows us to better map and study the distribution of dark matter in the galaxy.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations in determining the galactic disk's outer bound?

Yes, there are several challenges and limitations in determining the galactic disk's outer bound. These include the vast distances involved, the presence of dust and gas that can obscure our view, and the difficulty in accurately measuring the rotation curve of the galaxy's outer regions. Additionally, our current technology and understanding of the universe may also limit our ability to accurately determine the outer bound.