Insight into determinants and certain line integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a line integral and the determinant of a matrix, and how this relationship holds true for concentric circles centered at the origin. The connection between determinants and area is also mentioned, along with the use of Green's theorem to explain this relationship. The exercise highlights the difficulty in interpreting determinants, but suggests that they have a meaningful interpretation in this context.
kostoglotov
I just did this following exercise in my text

If [itex]C[/itex] is the line segment connecting the point [itex](x_1,y_1)[/itex] to [itex](x_2,y_2)[/itex], show that

[tex]\int_C xdy - ydx = x_1y_2 - x_2y_1[/tex]

I did, and I also noticed that if we put those points into a matrix with the first column [itex](x_1,y_1)[/itex] and the second column [itex](x_2,y_2)[/itex], then the answer is also the determinant of that matrix.

I also noticed that this will be true for the case where the vector field flows CCW along a set of concentric circles centered at the origin, growing larger in magnitude with distance from the origin.

Why is that? What does this mean? What is the connection that's happening here between the line integral and the determinant? I know that determinants are difficult to thoroughly explain in terms of how to interpret them, but what does this exercise say about the meaning of a determinant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by: ## y=\lambda{x}+\beta##

do you know green's theorem? and the connection between determinants and area?

1. What are determinants and why are they important in mathematics?

Determinants are mathematical tools used to calculate the unique scalar value associated with a square matrix. They are important because they provide information about the properties of a matrix, such as its invertibility and the solutions to linear equations.

2. How are determinants related to line integrals?

Determinants are used in the calculation of line integrals, which are used to calculate the total value of a function along a specific path. The determinant of the Jacobian matrix is used to transform the coordinates of the function to a new coordinate system, making the calculation of the line integral easier.

3. Can determinants be negative?

Yes, determinants can be negative. The value of a determinant is determined by the order of the matrix and the values of its elements. The sign of a determinant can be positive, negative, or zero.

4. What is the relationship between determinants and eigenvalues?

Determinants and eigenvalues are closely related. The eigenvalues of a matrix are the scalar values that satisfy the characteristic equation, which is determined by the determinant of the matrix. The determinant also provides information about the number of eigenvalues and their properties.

5. How can determinants be used to solve systems of linear equations?

Determinants can be used to solve systems of linear equations by finding the inverse of a matrix. The inverse of a matrix is used to solve the system of equations by multiplying it with the matrix of coefficients. The determinant of the coefficient matrix is used to determine if the system has a unique solution or not.