Line integral in spherical coordinates

In summary, the homework statement states that the vector field ##\vec B## is given in spherical coordinates and that we need to calculate the line integral integral of ##\vec B## along the curve ##C## with the parametrization ##C: \vec r = (a \cos \alpha, 2a\sin \alpha , \frac{a\alpha}{\pi})## from ##(a,0,0)## to ##(a,0,2a)##.
Incand

Homework Statement

The vector field ##\vec B## is given in spherical coordinates
##\vec B(r,\theta,\phi ) = \frac{B_0a}{r\sin \theta}\left( \sin \theta \hat r + \cos \theta \hat \theta + \hat \phi \right)##.
Determine the line integral integral of ##\vec B## along the curve ##C## with the parametrization ##C: \vec r = (a \cos \alpha, 2a\sin \alpha , \frac{a\alpha}{\pi})## from ##(a,0,0)## to ##(a,0,2a)##.

Homework Equations

Possibly of use
##d\vec r = \sum_1^3 h_i \vec e_i du_i = \frac{d\vec r}{dr}dr +\frac{d\vec r}{d\theta}d\theta +\frac{d\vec r}{d\phi}d\phi##.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming ##C## is given in Cartesian coordinates since nothing else is said. We note that in our parametrization we have ##\alpha \in (0,2\pi)##. We want to calculate
##\int_C \vec F \cdot d\vec r##.
So as I see it I need to either convert the vector field into Cartesian coordinates which looks like a lot of work and probably not the purpose of the exercise or find a way to express the parametrisation in spherical coordinates and then figure out how to integrate that.

One approach would be to get the ##(r,\theta,\phi)## coordinates by the formulas
\begin{cases}
r = \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}\\
\theta = \arccos \frac{z}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}\\
\phi = \arctan \frac{y}{x}
\end{cases}
which seems to give me even worse equations. Any hints on how to get started?

Physics news on Phys.org
It may be helpful to think about the path you are integrating on. It starts at (a, 0, 0) and ends at (a, 0, 2a)... What does the path look like?

LunaFly said:
It may be helpful to think about the path you are integrating on. It starts at (a, 0, 0) and ends at (a, 0, 2a)... What does the path look like?
Like an "elliptic helix". I thought about this as well but didn't see how it really helped. Cylindrical coordinates seems to fit this a lot better than the spherical that I have for the vector field.

I think I'm getting closer to the answer on this one but I'm not there yet.

Rewriting the basis vector in Cartesian coordinates we have
##\sin \theta \hat r = \sin^2 \theta \cos \phi \hat x + \sin^2 \theta \sin \phi \hat y + \sin \theta \cos \theta \hat z##
##\cos \theta \hat \theta = \cos^2\theta \cos \phi \hat x + \cos^2\theta \sin \phi\hat y -\cos\theta \sin \theta \hat z##
##\hat \phi = -\sin \phi \hat x + \cos \phi \hat x##.
Adding this up we have ##B(r,\theta ,\phi ) = \frac{B_0a}{r\sin \theta}\left( (\cos \phi -\sin \phi) \hat x + (\sin \phi + \cos \phi) \hat y \right)##

We note that ##\alpha \in (0,2\pi)## and that ##\alpha = \phi##. Calculating ##\frac{d\vec r}{d\phi}d\phi = a(-\sin \phi, 2\cos \phi,\frac{1}{\pi})d\phi##. Hence we have the integral
##B_0a^2 \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{\sin^2 \phi - \sin \phi \cos \phi + 2\cos^2 \phi + 2\cos \phi \sin \phi }{r\sin \theta} d\phi = B_0a^2 \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{\cos^2 \phi +1 +\cos \phi \sin \phi}{r\sin \theta} d\phi##.

Next we note that ##r\sin \theta = \rho = a\sqrt{\cos^2 \phi + 4\sin ^2\phi} = a\sqrt{1+3\sin^2 \phi}##. The integral should then be
##B_0a \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{\cos^2 \phi +1 +\cos \phi \sin \phi}{\sqrt{1+3\sin^2 \phi}}##. An integral that is quite beyond me but wolfram alpha give the numerical answer ##~8.1B_0a## and I'm supposed to get ##2\pi a B_0## and looking through my calculations several times for errors I can't find any.

I managed to solve this now so I thought I add the solution in case anyone else happens upon this thread.

The field can be rewritten in polar coordinates as
##\vec B = \frac{B_0a}{\rho}(\hat \rho + \hat \phi)##.
Using that ##\rho = a\sqrt{cos^2(\phi)+4sin^2(\phi)}## we have that ##\frac{d\rho}{d\phi} = \frac{3a\sin \phi \cos \phi}{\sqrt{cos^2(\phi)+4sin^2(\phi)}}## So for the ##\rho hat## component we have
##B_0a \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{3a}{cos^2(\phi)+4sin^2(\phi)}d\phi = 0##.
While in the ##\hat \phi## component we have
##B_0a \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{1}{\rho}\rho d\phi = 2\pi B_0a##.

Another way of getting the same result with less work would be to notice we have a line charge and a line current of strength ##2\pi B_0a## . Since the field got no ##\hat z## component it's for our purpose a closed loop and we then get the contribution of ##2\pi B_0a## from the line current while the line charge doesn't contribute.

Related to Line integral in spherical coordinates

1. What is a line integral in spherical coordinates?

A line integral in spherical coordinates is a mathematical tool used to calculate the total value of a function along a curved line in three-dimensional space. It takes into account the distance, direction, and angle of the curve, and integrates the function over the length of the curve.

2. How is a line integral in spherical coordinates different from a regular line integral?

A line integral in spherical coordinates takes into account the curvature of the path, while a regular line integral only considers the path in two dimensions. It also uses different coordinate systems, with spherical coordinates using angles and distances from the origin, while regular line integrals use Cartesian coordinates.

3. What are the applications of line integrals in spherical coordinates?

Line integrals in spherical coordinates are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the work done by a force along a curved path, as well as to calculate the flux of a vector field through a surface in three-dimensional space. They are also used in solving problems related to electric and magnetic fields.

4. How do you calculate a line integral in spherical coordinates?

To calculate a line integral in spherical coordinates, you first need to parametrize the curve using the angles and distances from the origin. Then, you can use the formula for spherical line integrals, which involves taking the dot product of the function and the differential of the curve. Finally, you integrate the resulting expression over the length of the curve.

5. What are the limitations of using line integrals in spherical coordinates?

Line integrals in spherical coordinates can only be used for curves that can be parametrized using angles and distances from the origin. They also require a good understanding of the coordinate system and its conversions, which can make them challenging to use for beginners. Additionally, the formulas for line integrals in spherical coordinates can be complex, making them difficult to solve without the aid of a computer or calculator.