Insights on future prospects: Applied vs Computational Math

In summary, the individual is seeking opinions and advice on their career options after graduation, including grad school, teaching, working in finance or tech, starting a tech company, and going to medical school. They have a strong interest in learning and are considering focusing on physics or self-study in the long term. They are currently studying physics and applied mathematics at UT-Austin and are unsure about the differences between degrees in applied mathematics and computational math. They have provided a thorough explanation of their situation and are open to answering questions for further clarification.
PhysicsKid0123
Hello Physics Forums community, I'm looking for opinions, advice, really anything, to help me better understand what I'm going into and what may be better for me after gradation. I am posting this under academic guidance because these are decisions that I need to make while I am in college. This may not be important, but just FYI, I am currently studying physics at UT-Austin. Additionally, I am also studying mathematics as a double major - applied mathematics to be specific. I am wondering what exactly could I do with a degree in applied mathematics that I could not in computational math. Conversely, what could I do with a degree in computational math that I could not do in applied math. How would these fields diverge in an academic setting and in a career like setting, for instance industry. I've read some articles here and there after a quick Google search. However, I'd like to get some opinions from people I could interact with and has some experience in what these degrees could lead and not lead too. I'm currently undecided as to what I want to do after graduation.

A few things I am considering right after graduation are:

1) Grad school (a master's in physics, electrical or aerospace engineering, and MAYBE a PhD later, but only if I get into a good school, otherwise I rather not go that route)

2) Teaching math or physics at high school. I probably won't want to do this for a very long time, but know knows that could change.

3) Work as a quantitative analyst for a financial company or MAYBE an actuary.

4) Work at a tech company like SpaceX, NASA, Radeon, LockHeed Martin, Google, something of that nature. Not necessarily as an engineer, whatever gets me to work on interesting projects (I know NASA is a government agency, but you know what I mean.) Also, I'm not interested in making weapons-- or as long as there not deadly weapons involved non-fatal self defense systems I am okay with.

5) I would also like to make an attempt at starting a tech company myself. I know some very talented individuals that would join me in the pursuit of this endeavor. This one may be the most difficult of all. Furthermore, I would probably have to expand my knowledge in computer science like SQL, Java, and so on. All I really know at the moment is C++, some HTML, some JavaScript, and some Ruby, but not very much like I know C++. I don't know any Matlab or anything like that. I know very little Mathematica.

6) Go to Medical School. This was suggested to me by my mother and sister. I think it's a good idea, but I am not entirely sure. I do love to help people, and gaining the ability and skills to save lives would be an utter blessing.

These considerations are not in any kind of order. If anyone has any other suggestions as to what other kinds of careers I might be interested, given what I have provided, please let me know.

One final note;
I love to learn virtually about everything-- I'm very curious and knowledge is like food to me. Regardless of the outcome, I will still be motivated to learn and read books on topics in advanced math, in the sciences like chemistry, biology, physics, in engineering, in psychology, in business, et cetera--for the rest of my life. Ultimately, I plan to focus on physics or self-study-- "on my own," if you will, because I want to make an attempt at solving some of physics' toughest unsolved problems even if I'm not in academia. Sort of like a long-life hobby, but given that I do not pursue a PhD in physics. Now that I've mentioned the PhD, the reason I do not want to do this is because it seems like a lot of school-- especially if its physics. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE PHYSICS, but the routine might get boring which is why I want to see what a Master's would be like. Exposure to other fields might be good for me since I also hold interests there.

I think I have elaborated enough, and I hope someone can relate or offer some good insights. Forgive me if I provided too much, I like to be thorough and I'm also very indecisive when it comes to my future career. If you have any questions, I'd gladly answer. And thank you to all who have taken the time to read about my situation, and also to those who offer advice or what have you. I greatly appreciate it, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Really, these days applied math and computational math are becoming synonymous. However, from the broadest view, comp. math is a focus area within applied math. That is to say, you would get more specialization toward computational methods, algorithms, and speed in a comp. math program.
In the area of computational physics, methods for simplifying large matrix problems and/or parallel processing are drawing a lot of attention.
In applied math, you might focus more on the general problem and methods. Once you apply the methods to a computational problem, you will be doing the same stuff.
If your goals are as broad as you say they are, I would recommend less specialozation in your academics to maximize transferability.

1. What is the difference between applied math and computational math?

Applied math is the use of mathematical theories and techniques to solve real-world problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Computational math, on the other hand, focuses on the development and application of mathematical algorithms and computer simulations to solve mathematical problems.

2. Which field has better career prospects, applied math or computational math?

Both fields have promising career prospects. Applied math can lead to jobs in various industries such as finance, data analysis, and scientific research. Computational math can also lead to similar job opportunities, with a focus on developing and using mathematical models and simulations.

3. Is a degree in applied math or computational math more valuable?

Both degrees have value in the job market, depending on the specific career path and industry. A degree in applied math may be more valuable for jobs in traditional fields such as engineering and finance, while a degree in computational math may be more valuable for careers in data science and computer science.

4. What skills are necessary for a career in applied or computational math?

Both fields require strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. Applied math may also require strong communication skills and the ability to apply mathematical concepts to real-world scenarios. Computational math may require programming skills and a solid understanding of computer science principles.

5. What are some emerging areas within applied and computational math?

Some emerging areas within applied math include data science, mathematical biology, and financial mathematics. Computational math is also expanding into fields such as machine learning, artificial intelligence, and quantum computing.