Inspiring kids to learn physics

In summary: Are kids motivated by possessions or greed, and -even if- should that be promoted, or not?Motivated by possessions or greed, and -even if- should that be promoted, or not?Motivated by possessions or greed, and -even if- should that be promoted, or not?
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think I made a post about this in random thoughts but thought it might make a good thread.

About a month ago we had my sister and her family visiting. At that time I presented a challenge to the kids - ages ~ 10, 12, and 13 - that they seem to have taken to heart. I gave them my first book on Relativity, Einstein's Relativity: The Special and the General Theory--A Clear Explanation that Anyone Can Understand. I then offered $50 to the one who could read and understand this book at the youngest age.

Their grandfather on their father's side is a retired nuclear engineer [Ph.D., MIT]. You can imagine his surprise and excitement when, this weekend, his ten-year-old grand-daughter asked him to summarize the Theory of Relativity for her!

518262VERFL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Using money to bribe kids to learn? Not something that I would generally approve of, but I know there is no way they would ever take on something that challenging without unique motivation. By making it a contest between the siblings, with a prize, and a chance for the youngest to win, it presented a unique opportunity to open little minds. No doubt that for many of us, our first exposure to Relativity was a life-changing experience. So this seemed like a pretty good deal for $50. I couldn't be more thrilled that over a month later, they're thinking about it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
I think I made a post about this in random thoughts but thought it might make a good thread.

About a month ago we had my sister and her family visiting. At that time I presented a challenge to the kids - ages ~ 10, 12, and 13 - that they seem to have taken to heart. I gave them my first book on Relativity, Einstein's Relativity: The Special and the General Theory--A Clear Explanation that Anyone Can Understand. I then offered $50 to the one who could read and understand this book at the youngest age.

Their grandfather on their father's side is a retired nuclear engineer [Ph.D., MIT]. You can imagine his surprise and excitement when, this weekend, his ten-year-old grand-daughter asked him to summarize the Theory of Relativity for her!

518262VERFL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Using money to bribe kids to learn? Not something that I would generally approve of, but I know there is no way they would ever take on something that challenging without unique motivation. By making it a contest between the siblings, with a prize, and a chance for the youngest to win, it presented a unique opportunity to open little minds. No doubt that for many of us, our first exposure to Relativity was a life-changing experience. So this seemed like a pretty good deal for $50. I couldn't be more thrilled that over a month later, they're thinking about it.

Are kids motivated by possessions or greed, and -even if- should that be promoted, or not?

I take some of the Islamic criticism on western society serious, though I am sometimes undecided on it. (Like: capitalism leads to the degradation (selling-off) of women.)

It led to a minor conflict in my (ex-)family. Should my two daughters share possessions (my view), or should each of them own their possessions (the horrible ex). Who knows?

Well, I hope to see those 3 as PF members soon! :biggrin:

MarcoD said:
Are kids motivated by possessions or greed, and -even if- should that be promoted, or not?

I understand your point. However, while I too thought about your concerns, this was really more of a trick than a bribe. I suspect that at least two of the three may have strong tendencies towards math and the sciences. The point isn't to pay them to learn physics, it was to create a goal and a competitive circumstance that would motivate them to try. If the spark is there, they will fall in love with the logic regardless of the money. This was just intended to give them an early start.

Also, they understood that this wasn't a quick challenge - a quick buck. It will surely be at least three to five years before someone wins.

I would add that the op is in no way meant to limit the discussion. It was just the motivation for the thread.

micromass said:
Well, I hope to see those 3 as PF members soon! :biggrin:

The youngest has already been in math competitions and was highly dedicated. She did well but was heartbroken when she lost! I think she's a ringer for the sciences. So far it's hard to tell with the other two. They are all bright so I could see all three going this direction.

1. What is the best way to make physics interesting for kids?

The best way to make physics interesting for kids is to make it hands-on and interactive. This can include experiments, demonstrations, and activities that allow kids to see the principles of physics in action.

2. How can I encourage my child to develop an interest in physics?

You can encourage your child to develop an interest in physics by exposing them to real-world applications of physics, such as sports, technology, and everyday phenomena. You can also make learning physics fun and engaging by incorporating games, challenges, and puzzles.

3. What are some resources for parents to help their child learn physics?

There are many resources available for parents to help their child learn physics, including books, educational websites, and hands-on activities. You can also consider enrolling your child in a physics club or camp, or hiring a tutor to provide one-on-one instruction.

4. At what age should children start learning physics?

Children can start learning about basic physics concepts as early as preschool, through simple experiments and observations. However, a more formal understanding of physics usually begins in middle school, around the ages of 11-13.

5. How can I make physics relevant to my child's everyday life?

You can make physics relevant to your child's everyday life by pointing out how physics concepts apply to things they encounter on a daily basis, such as gravity when they drop a ball, or force and motion when they ride a bike. You can also involve them in household projects or DIY experiments that demonstrate physics principles.