Learn Physics with Eigenchris: Relativity & Tensors

In summary: L_j =\underline{T^j}_k L_j.$$In summary, these videos by eigenchris are interesting and can help anyone interested in learning about these topics.
robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
This set of videos by eigenchris (separate playlists on Relativity and on Tensors) also looks interesting
and can help anyone interested in learning about these topics.

A while back I watched some of them and thought they could be helpful.
I like his presentation of one-forms.
(I've been interested in Visualizing Tensors for a while... especially in directly applying them to physics.
Some his presentations gave me ideas on how to introduce one-forms to my classes in Thermodynamics
and Electromagnetism.)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN8wTUlSAroLslWyf87E2pw

• Love
Likes Hamiltonian and vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice videos. I'd seen the co-vectors as a set of planes before, but the notion of rank 2+ tensors being represented in matrix notation as rows-of-rows or even rows-of-columns-of-rows was new to me. I think I agree with him that it rapidly gets out of hand, but it might have its place in computational work.

Likes vanhees71
In the "Tensors for beginners" video series, he has the vector (contra-variant) indices at the bottom, and the the co-vector (co-variant) indices at the top. In another course that I have been following from Alex Flourney, it is just the other way around. What is the standard way of doing this?

Usually vector up and co-vector down, but so long as you're consistent it doesn't make a difference. There was a comment about Feynman's gravitational lectures which I thought was vaguely amusing:

1644075188994.png

• Haha
Likes robphy and Rene Dekker
Well, I've never encountered any textbook nor paper, where it was other than that lower indices indicate covariant and upper indices contravariant indices. I think I'd refuse to read any source that does it the other way. It would drive me nuts ;-)). It's already bad enough that there are so many sign conventions around, starting from the harmless one between east- and west-coast convention for the pseudometric, i.e., using a signature (3,1) (dominantly by GR people but also some HEP people, including Weinberg) or (1,3). The really dangerous sign convention occurs when it comes to the Levi-Civita symbol, i.e,. whether you say ##\epsilon^{0123}=+1## or ##\epsilon_{0123}=+1## and not clearly telling somewhere which convention is followed.

Fortunately it seems to be common convention to have the lower indices indicating the covariant and upper indices the contravariant tensor components. I think one should boycot any writing that's not following this standard, because otherwise we'll have even one more confusing convention in the literature.

It's bad enough that mathematicians destroy the intuitive way of Dirac's bra-ket formalism by having the scalar product of a Hilbert space linear in the first and semilinear in the second argument rather than using the physicists' convention thanks to Dirac's ingenious bra-ket notation, where it is the other way around (well, that's however another story...).

Rene Dekker said:
In the "Tensors for beginners" video series, he has the vector (contra-variant) indices at the bottom, and the the co-vector (co-variant) indices at the top. In another course that I have been following from Alex Flourney, it is just the other way around. What is the standard way of doing this?
I think he only does this for for a short while in #3 where he labels everything with lower indices (the lazy works-for-Cartesian-coordinates way), but he introduces upper and lower index notation at the end of that video (edit: about here, if I've got the link to a time stamp to work).

He always labels the basis vectors with lower indices, but (other than the introductory exception) vector components have upper indices. Basis covectors and covector components are the other way around. I think that's standard, isn't it?

Likes robphy and vanhees71
Of course if you have a Euclidean vector space and work with Cartesian coordinates you can put all indices as lower ones. That's common practice in physics when just working with good old 3D vector calculus.

If you work with general bases (maybe in a vector space without any fundamental form) you have to distinguish between bases of the vector space (usually written with a lower index) and its dual space. If you have a basis ##\vec{b}_k## of the vector space the corresponding dual basis of the dual space (co-vector space) is defined by ##\underline{b}^j(b_k) \equiv b^j b_k=\delta_k^j##.

A vector's components wrt. to the ##\vec{b}_k## are denoted with upper indices,
$$\vec{v}=v^k \vec{b}_k.$$
A co-vector's components wrt. the dual basis ##\underline{b}^j## are labeled with lower indices,
$$\underline{L}=L_j \underline{b}^j.$$
If you now define new basis vectors
$$\vec{b}_l'={T^k}_l \vec{b}_k$$
and define the inverse matrix as ##{U^l}_k##,
$$\vec{b}_k = {U^l}_k \vec{b}_l',$$
then the dual basis is given by
$$\underline{b}^{\prime m} \vec{b}_l'=\delta_l^m={T^k}_l \underline{b}^{\prime m} \vec{b}_k \; \Rightarrow \; \underline{b}^{\prime m} \vec{b}_k={U^m}_k.$$
From this one gets
$$\underline{b}^{\prime m}={U^m}_n \underline{b}^n,$$
because
$${U^m}_n \underline{b}^n \vec{b}_k = {U^m}_n \delta_k^n = {U^m}_k =\underline{b}^{\prime m} \vec{b}_k.$$
The dual basis thus transforms contragrediently to the basis. Usually one says the bases transform covariantly and the corresponding dual bases contravariantly.

From this you have of course
$$\underline{b}^n={T^n}_m \underline{b}^{\prime m}.$$
Then it's clear that this holds for the components of vectors (having upper indices) and transforming contravariantly,
$$\vec{v}=v^k \vec{b}_k=v^k {U^l}_k \vec{b}_l \; \Rightarrow\; v^{\prime l}={U^l}_k v^k,$$
and the components of a linear form (having lower indices) covariantly, and indeed
$$\underline{L}=L_j \underline{b}^j =L_j {T^j}_k \underline{b}^{\prime k} \; \Rightarrow \; L_k'=L_j {T^j}_k.$$

Likes Ibix
vanhees71 said:
Well, I've never encountered any textbook nor paper, where it was other than that lower indices indicate covariant and upper indices contravariant indices. I think I'd refuse to read any source that does it the other way. It would drive me nuts ;-)).

Ibix said:
I think he only does this for for a short while in #3 where he labels everything with lower indices (the lazy works-for-Cartesian-coordinates way), but he introduces upper and lower index notation at the end of that video (edit: about here, if I've got the link to a time stamp to work).

I think eigenchris does a good job bringing along viewers from "beginner level" to "intermediate level" and beyond. Ideas and notations are being gradually developed. (Is there any intro-level math methods book that uses the index-placement of abstract index notation from the beginning?)

I vaguely remember having to remind beginning students (learning the notation)
that [itex] x^1 [/itex] is "[itex] x [/itex]" but [itex] x^2 [/itex] is "[itex] y [/itex]".

Along these lines, I taught a math methods class that primarily had physics students...
but there was a math major among them. It took a few minutes for me to realize
that she interprets [itex] E_x [/itex], not as the [itex]x[/itex]-component of [itex] \vec E [/itex], but as [itex] \frac{\partial E}{\partial x} [/itex].

Likes vanhees71 and Ibix
I think the videos start with ##\vec v=v_i\vec b_i## to avoid the comments being full of "##v^i##? What does raising a vector to the ##i##th power mean?" Once he's established the component and basis transformation rules and wants to start talking about covectors, he sharpens up his notation.

Likes robphy
I found the videos extremely helpful. I'm just a novice and struggled with MTW, etc. on my own without much success. I appreciated the way he (eigenchris) used simplified notation in the beginning then added more details as needed, rather than bombarding the reader with everything all at once. I finally "got" what a covector is, then everything started to fall into place.

Likes robphy
I start off with column vectors (as vectors [the arrows]) and row vectors (a co-vectors [later, the planes])
[tex] \left[ \begin{array}{c}1\\2\\3\end{array} \right] \mbox{ and } \begin{array}{ccc}\left[1\right.&2&\left. 3 \right]\\ \vphantom{\frac12}\\ \vphantom{\frac12} \end{array} [/tex]
Then I use arrows as [tex] \vec V \mbox{ and } \underset{\rightarrow}{A}, [/tex] then eventually
[tex] V^a\mbox{ and } A_a [/tex]
...somehow getting them to think of the abstract index---and not as "something to sum over".

Likes vanhees71
robphy said:
I think eigenchris does a good job bringing along viewers from "beginner level" to "intermediate level" and beyond. Ideas and notations are being gradually developed. (Is there any intro-level math methods book that uses the index-placement of abstract index notation from the beginning?)

I vaguely remember having to remind beginning students (learning the notation)
that [itex] x^1 [/itex] is "[itex] x [/itex]" but [itex] x^2 [/itex] is "[itex] y [/itex]".

Along these lines, I taught a math methods class that primarily had physics students...
but there was a math major among them. It took a few minutes for me to realize
that she interprets [itex] E_x [/itex], not as the [itex]x[/itex]-component of [itex] \vec E [/itex], but as [itex] \frac{\partial E}{\partial x} [/itex].
I've nothing against using the all-index-down-notation for Cartesian Ricci calculus. I'd also not bother First-semester physics students with co- and contravariant indices, but I'd never introduce a notation, which used nowhere else. Objects with lower (upper) indices everywhere in the physics literature transform covariantly (contravariantly), which of coarse is a convention, but why should one introduce the opposite convention, which nobody else uses? To confuse the students?

Ibix said:

He always labels the basis vectors with lower indices, but (other than the introductory exception) vector components have upper indices. Basis covectors and covector components are the other way around. I think that's standard, isn't it?
I think you are actually correct. I thought that he did it the other way around in the later videos as well, but it seems to be that it was I who was confused.

Likes vanhees71 and Ibix

1. What is relativity and why is it important in physics?

Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes how the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. It is important in physics because it revolutionized our understanding of space, time, and gravity, and has been confirmed by numerous experiments.

2. What are tensors and how are they used in physics?

Tensors are mathematical objects that describe the relationship between different quantities in physics. They are used to represent physical quantities such as forces, velocities, and electromagnetic fields, and are essential in understanding the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

3. How does the theory of relativity impact our everyday lives?

The theory of relativity has many practical applications, such as in GPS technology, where it is used to account for the effects of time dilation due to the speed of satellites. It also helps us understand the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, such as particles in accelerators, and has led to the development of technologies like nuclear power and nuclear weapons.

4. Can you explain the concept of time dilation in relativity?

Time dilation is the phenomenon where time appears to pass slower for an object moving at high speeds compared to an observer at rest. This is due to the fact that time and space are interconnected, and as an object's speed increases, time slows down for that object relative to the observer. This effect has been confirmed by experiments and is a key aspect of the theory of relativity.

5. How does the theory of relativity relate to the concept of space-time?

The theory of relativity states that space and time are not separate entities, but rather are interconnected and form a four-dimensional structure known as space-time. This means that events that occur in the universe are not just happening in space, but also in time. The theory of relativity provides a mathematical framework for understanding the relationship between space and time and has greatly influenced our understanding of the universe.