Installed MikTex and Texmaker but got errors

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter davidwinth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Errors
In summary, the conversation discusses the struggles of switching from MS Word to LaTeX and encountering errors when trying to compile a resume template. The issue seems to be with the quick build setup not finding the pdflatex command, which can be resolved by properly setting the path variable or switching to a different editor such as TeXstudio.
davidwinth
I am trying to switch to LaTeX after struggling with MS Word to the point of despair. Unfortunately, things aren't off to a great start. I want to build a resume and I found a template but when I try to compile it I get the following error even with another very simple "first LaTeX program" I also found online. I installed MikTeX first so it should be working. What is wrong? I saved the file then clicked "Quick Build"

Thanks!

upload_2018-7-27_21-31-6.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-27_21-29-19.png
    upload_2018-7-27_21-29-19.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 445
  • upload_2018-7-27_21-31-6.png
    upload_2018-7-27_21-31-6.png
    26 KB · Views: 434
Physics news on Phys.org
It would seem that your quick build setup does not find the pdflatex command. Make sure that your editor knows where to find the binaries of MikTeX by properly setting the path variable or directing it directly to the binaries in the quick build setup.

I had the same problem with the couple Texmaker-MikTex. Since I can barely use LaTex, I asked a wizard and he told me: "Switch to TeXstudio". I did as he said and everything worked fine. LaTex isn't that simple.

1. Why am I getting errors after installing MikTex and Texmaker?

There could be a few reasons for this. First, make sure that both MikTex and Texmaker are properly installed and updated to the latest version. Also, check that you are using the correct versions of the programs for your operating system. Additionally, check for any compatibility issues between MikTex and Texmaker, as well as any conflicting packages or settings.

2. What kind of errors am I likely to encounter after installing MikTex and Texmaker?

The most common errors after installing MikTex and Texmaker include missing package errors, syntax errors, and compilation errors. These errors can be caused by a variety of factors such as incorrect code, missing or outdated packages, or incompatible settings.

3. How can I troubleshoot and fix errors after installing MikTex and Texmaker?

First, try to identify the specific error message and its location in your code. This can help pinpoint the source of the error. Next, check the MikTex and Texmaker documentation for any solutions or troubleshooting steps related to the specific error you are encountering. You can also search online for solutions or reach out to the MikTex and Texmaker community for help.

4. Can I still use MikTex and Texmaker if I am not an experienced user?

Yes, MikTex and Texmaker are designed to be user-friendly and accessible for all levels of experience. However, some errors may require a basic understanding of LaTeX and its syntax in order to troubleshoot effectively. It may also be helpful to have some knowledge of the specific packages and settings used in your document.

5. Are there any alternative programs to MikTex and Texmaker?

Yes, there are several other LaTeX editors and compilers available, such as TeXworks, TeXstudio, and Overleaf. Each program has its own unique features and interface, so it may be helpful to try out a few different options to find the one that best suits your needs.