I'm getting an error during installation of ARPACK library for Windows

• Thread starter patric44
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the installation of the ARPACK library for Windows. The individual has downloaded a tar.gz file and made modifications to the ARmake and Makefile, but encountered an error when trying to use the command "make lib." They are seeking help and wondering if they also need to download LAPACK and BLAS. They also inquire about the possibility of downloading an already made library instead. They receive a response suggesting that the error message indicates a missing tool or file in their system's PATH and that the ARPACK folder does not contain a folder named "arpacklib."
patric44
TL;DR Summary
I need to install the ARPACK library for windows
hi all
I am trying to install the ARPACK library for windows (another program needs the library for calculations) , I download a arpack96.tar.gz file that i found online , downloaded "make" and the mingw-gfortran and all that, modified the ARmake and the Makefile, but when i try the command "make lib" it shows the following error :
make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
Makefile:57: recipe for target 'arpacklib' failed
make: *** [arpacklib] Error 2
has any one encountered the same error when trying to install ARPACK on windows, also do I need LAPACK and BLAS, because in the ARPACK folder it already has both files in its directory.
I will appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

also cant i just download an already "maked lib" library instead of going through all that hassle!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you encounter the error message "make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified," it usually indicates that one of the required tools or files is not in your system's PATH or is missing

FiliusAstro said:
If you encounter the error message "make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified," it usually indicates that one of the required tools or files is not in your system's PATH or is missing
the folder of the ARPACK does not contain any folder named "arpacklib" is that the missing folder?where do i get it

1. Why am I getting an error during installation of ARPACK library for Windows?

There could be multiple reasons for an error during installation of ARPACK library for Windows. It could be due to missing or corrupted files, compatibility issues with your system, or incorrect installation methods. It is important to carefully follow the installation instructions and make sure your system meets the requirements for the library.

2. How can I fix the installation error for ARPACK library?

First, check if you have downloaded the correct version of the library for your system. If the issue persists, try redownloading the library or using a different installation method. You can also try updating your system and ensuring all necessary dependencies are installed. If none of these solutions work, consider seeking help from the library's support team or the software development community.

3. Are there any known bugs or issues with the ARPACK library for Windows?

Yes, there are some known bugs and issues with the ARPACK library for Windows. You can check the library's website or the software development community for any reported problems and their solutions. It is also important to keep the library updated to avoid any known issues.

4. Can I use the ARPACK library on any Windows operating system?

No, the ARPACK library may not be compatible with all Windows operating systems. It is important to check the system requirements before attempting to install the library. Some older versions of Windows may not be able to run the library, while newer versions may require additional dependencies or updates.

5. Is there any documentation or tutorials available for troubleshooting installation errors with ARPACK library?

Yes, most libraries provide documentation and tutorials for troubleshooting common installation errors. You can check the library's website or the software development community for any available resources. These resources can help you resolve the issue quickly and efficiently.