Installing Latex on Apache Server (Linux/Windows)

In summary, the cgi file will work if you compile it in windows, but you will need to change the transfer mode to binary.
exequor
I am trying to install mimetex on my webhosts server so that I can generate latex images similar to on this website. i have to simply get the cgi (which i have to compile). The thing is the webhost's server is running apache on linux and i run windows. I downloaded a precompiled cgi package for linux and place the appropriate file in the cgi bin; it did not work. What i wanted to know is whether or not the cgi file would be valid if i compiled the cgi file in windows?

Physics news on Phys.org
Works for me just fine. This is what I did:

1) Downloaded this:

http://www.forkosh.com/mimetex.exe/linux/mimetex.zip

2) unzip file

3) moved mimetex.cgi into my cgi-bin file

4) Uncommented the following lines in httpd.conf

<Directory /home/*/public_html/cgi-bin>
Options ExecCGI
SetHandler cgi-script
</Directory>

Step 4 will differ based on the type of configuration you have.

I can now go to this page: http://localhost/~dduardo/cgi-bin/mimetex.cgi?x^2+y^2
and it will display the latex picture.

The problem I suspect you have is that they that your host doesn't allow ExecCGI. Are you getting a prompt asking you what to do with the cgi file?

Last edited by a moderator:
This the error that I am getting:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@themodule.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Are you sure you have the proper permissions for the cgi file (read+execute)? Does your host allow SSH login?

http://www.forkosh.dreamhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20&sid=2be7b872df40ddf3826d30e833311485

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally I got it to work. The thing is, I use ws_ftp for uploading my files and the transfer mode was on "auto", something just told me to manually select binary and when i did that it got it to work. Thanks a lot for the help dduardo.

Just a note: it doesn't look like mimetex does bound checking, so potentially someone could generate a huge random string, putting the server in a loop. This is something were modifying the source and compiling it would be helpful.

I am planning on using php to control the input strings. And I only plan on short strings because I'm just using this for a transition table builder that I am writing in php.

1. What is Latex and why would I need to install it on an Apache Server?

Latex is a typesetting system commonly used in academic and scientific fields. It allows for the creation of professional-looking documents with complex mathematical equations and symbols. Installing Latex on an Apache Server would allow you to use Latex to create and display documents on a website.

2. Is it possible to install Latex on both Linux and Windows operating systems?

Yes, Latex can be installed on both Linux and Windows systems. However, the installation process may differ slightly between the two operating systems. It is important to follow the specific instructions for your chosen operating system to ensure a successful installation.

3. How do I install Latex on an Apache Server?

The exact steps for installing Latex on an Apache Server will vary depending on your specific server setup and operating system. Generally, you will need to download and install a Latex distribution such as TeX Live or MiKTeX, configure your Apache Server to recognize Latex files, and possibly install additional plugins or packages. It is recommended to consult a comprehensive guide or seek assistance from a knowledgeable individual for a smooth installation process.

4. Are there any specific server requirements for installing Latex on an Apache Server?

Yes, there are a few requirements that must be met in order to successfully install Latex on an Apache Server. These include having appropriate permissions and access to modify server settings, having enough disk space for the Latex distribution and any additional packages, and ensuring that the server meets the minimum system requirements for the chosen Latex distribution.

5. Can I use Latex to create and display documents on my website without installing it on an Apache Server?

No, in order to use Latex to create and display documents on a website, it must be installed on an Apache Server. This is because Latex files require specific server configurations and plugins to be properly displayed. However, there are online tools and services available that allow you to create and convert Latex documents without the need for an Apache Server installation.