Installing Python - Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation is about someone who is new to programming and wants to learn Python. They are having trouble installing it and don't know how to write and run programs. They are using Windows 7 64bit and are unsure of what editor to use. The expert suggests using notepad++ to write the program and python to run it, and also mentions that Python has its own IDE called "IDLE". They also provide a helpful link for debugging in Python.
Kostas Tzim
Hello, i want to start learning python, but i can't install it after i download python3.4.2 from python's site..then i don't know what to do...it's complicated cause i 've never occupied with programming and it seems hard for me, i'd really appreciate your help

Technology news on Phys.org
Use an editor (e.g. Notepad++), write your program and just save it as something.py . Double-click it to run

Likes atyy
Γεια σου ρε Μηνά! thanks

that means that i only need python to run programms?

Which of these do you mean?

A. You downloaded python 3.4.2 as a zipped file or something, and don't know what to do to install it?
B. You downloaded and installed it, but don't know how to write a program and run it? (the question MinasKar answered)

In either case, it helps to say which operating system you're using: Windows, Mac OS, Linux, or something else? (and which version?)

windows 7 64bit, yeah i dowload, i install it but then i don't know what to do, and if i install notepad++ and write on it then why do i need python programm?

Use notepad++ (or another editor) to write your program and python to run it. Without python installed in your computer, you can't run any of your programs.

Python usually comes with its own IDE called "IDLE", you should see it in the start menu. It may not be the best editor, but it will get you going.

actually...yes u are right i found it but i like more notepad++ :) thanks for answer buddy

and in which programm ill be able to compile and find my mistakes?

1. How do I install Python on my computer?

To install Python on your computer, go to the official Python website and download the latest version of Python. Then, run the installer and follow the step-by-step instructions to complete the installation process.

2. Can I install Python on any operating system?

Yes, Python is compatible with various operating systems including Windows, Mac, and Linux. However, the installation process may differ slightly depending on your operating system.

3. Do I need to install any additional software to use Python?

No, you do not need to install any additional software to use Python. The official Python installer includes all the necessary libraries and tools to start using Python.

4. How do I know if Python is properly installed on my computer?

To check if Python is properly installed, open the command prompt (for Windows) or terminal (for Mac/Linux) and type "python --version". If Python is installed correctly, it will display the version number.

5. Can I have multiple versions of Python installed on my computer?

Yes, you can have multiple versions of Python installed on your computer. However, it is recommended to only have one version as having multiple versions can cause conflicts and confusion.