Instructor's solution manuals in courses.

• Courses
  • Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary, the conversation revolves around the ethics and effectiveness of using instructor's solution manuals, particularly those found on the internet. While some argue that it can be a valuable tool for studying and checking answers, others believe it is a form of unauthorized publishing and goes against the principles of independent learning. The conversation also touches on the use of external resources in research work.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Well my question is, the fact that one can find instructor's solution manuals in the net, doesn't it mean that there are over there some corrupted instructors?

I mean there's a point where you can't ask anymore new questions, doesn't it?

Unless I am mistaken and you can ask indefinitely questions on the subjects which are being tested.
Obviously every student would prefer knowing the answer, but if the student wants one day to become a researcher he should know when to be independent and find solutions to problems without solution manual.

I must confess that I use these manuals, but I ensure that I understand the solution and not blindly copying like a parrot.

Physics news on Phys.org
MathematicalPhysicist

You are using solutions manuals the way the should be used. This is not corrupt. YOU are using the manuals as a way to get help while you are studying, exercising, and checking your solutions and answers. This is more efficient than everyone with difficulty going to the instructor, teacher, professor for help.

You are most imaginably doing like so:
  1. Take an exercise problem
  2. Read, think, try to solve or answer the exercise.
  3. If you have some trouble, you check into some of but not all of the published solution, and try to keep working through the rest of the problem; but if still not managing, then you study more of the published solution.
  4. In case you still are confused, you try to study from the notes and book section
  5. If still confused, you can ask your professor.

I was referring to those instructor's solution manuals that spread around the net not of the students' solution manuals.

Mind you most of the logic textbooks Iv'e seen have answers at the back, but sometimes there are mistakes in them. I am corresponding with one logician, it seems his textbook is plagued with errors also in the answers.

Anyway, I digress; what I was referring is to SM that aren't supposed to be in the net; I.e the detailed SM of the instructors.

Mind you there are some books that don't have official SM spread around the net (like Spivak's DG or Classical Electromagnetism of Schwinger's).

But there are some instructors' SM that can be found in the net, I assume they aren't supposed to be found in the net.
I might be mistaken.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
I was referring to those instructor's solution manuals that spread around the net not of the students' solution manuals.

Mind you most of the logic textbooks Iv'e seen have answers at the back, but sometimes there are mistakes in them. I am corresponding with one logician, it seems his textbook is plagued with errors also in the answers.

Anyway, I digress; what I was referring is to SM that aren't supposed to be in the net; I.e the detailed SM of the instructors.

Mind you there are some books that don't have official SM spread around the net (like Spivak's DG or Classical Electromagnetism of Schwinger's).

But there are some instructors' SM that can be found in the net, I assume they aren't supposed to be found in the net.
I might be mistaken.
Thanks for the clarification.
I believe other people's posting of an instructors's solution manuals is like unauthorized publishing, regardless if these postings are for profit or not. Too easy to do and so too hard to make it stop if it is happening. Only okay if the instructor himself is posting HIS solution manual on the internet I agree. Posting these without authorization is wrong.

Likes berkeman
MathematicalPhysicist said:
Well my question is, the fact that one can find instructor's solution manuals in the net, doesn't it mean that there are over there some corrupted instructors?

I mean there's a point where you can't ask anymore new questions, doesn't it?

Unless I am mistaken and you can ask indefinitely questions on the subjects which are being tested.
Obviously every student would prefer knowing the answer, but if the student wants one day to become a researcher he should know when to be independent and find solutions to problems without solution manual.

I must confess that I use these manuals, but I ensure that I understand the solution and not blindly copying like a parrot.

< Post edited by a Mentor >

Also, most undergraduate and graduate level problems cannot usually be solved by a student himself. You need to talk to people (which is why you have a place like physicsforums), read textbooks and use online material.

That is one reason for the prevalence of take home finals in graduate level courses. Asking a student to solve a graduate level problem in an exam without having done similar problems before is pointless. The student won't be able to do the problem in most cases.

Also, in research work, you are of course allowed to use any textbooks or online material or talk to people. The key skill to acquire is how to use resources to obtain answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread closed for Moderation...

symbolipoint said:
I believe other people's posting of an instructors's solution manuals is like unauthorized publishing, regardless if these postings are for profit or not. Too easy to do and so too hard to make it stop if it is happening. Only okay if the instructor himself is posting HIS solution manual on the internet I agree. Posting these without authorization is wrong.
Well said. Thread will remain closed.

1. What is an instructor's solution manual?

An instructor's solution manual is a supplemental resource for a textbook that provides solutions to the problems and exercises in the textbook. It is typically only available to instructors or professors who are using the textbook for a course.

2. Do all textbooks have instructor's solution manuals?

No, not all textbooks have instructor's solution manuals. They are usually only available for popular or widely-used textbooks in certain subjects, such as math or science.

3. Can students access an instructor's solution manual?

No, instructor's solution manuals are typically only available to instructors or professors. Students do not have access to them unless the instructor chooses to share them.

4. How can an instructor use an instructor's solution manual in their course?

An instructor can use an instructor's solution manual as a resource for creating homework assignments, quizzes, or exams. They can also use it to check their own solutions to problems before presenting them to the class.

5. Is it ethical for an instructor to use an instructor's solution manual in their course?

Yes, it is generally considered ethical for an instructor to use an instructor's solution manual as a resource for creating assignments or checking solutions. However, it is important for the instructor to still teach the material and not solely rely on the solution manual.