Another Thread About Solutions Manuals

• Thread starter Gibby_Canes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary: If you are seeking help here, and you are not an instructor, then you are not allowed to post in this thread.
Gibby_Canes
I've always looked at the forums here, but never bothered to make an account or post, so this is my first post.

Typically inquiries about finding instructor's solutions manuals are locked for advocating cheating, but most of the student solutions manuals I have are total garbage. I like to study on my own, so I'm two years ahead of my curriculum, and it gets to a point where sometimes I have no idea if the answer I got was right. Or, like when I was studying Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics, sometimes I have no idea how to go about solving a problem, and the more advanced the courses get, the fewer places there are to find help online.

On that note, has anyone figured out a reliable way to attain instructor's solutions manuals? When I work through a textbook I like to do every single problem available, and without something to check my work I'm completely lost.

edit: I should add that I am only interested in legal ways of obtaining them, and do not intend to cheat nor do I advocate it

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The rules clearly state that asking for solution manuals is not allowed here.

Emphasis mine:

We do not support cheating in any form: Do not ask for solution manuals, answers to exams, or instructor's manuals. Every school and instructor has their own policies or honor codes on what constitutes cheating, and it is up to the individual student to adhere to those policies when seeking help here. If you are in doubt as to whether you are permitted to seek help, consider erring on the side of caution and not asking for help.

I'm indulging in overriding the the thread lock for a minute, in order to clarify something:

Gibby_Canes said:
I am only interested in legal ways of obtaining them,

Publishers intend instructors' solution manuals to be distributed only to instructors, and we intend to abide by that restriction, regardless of the actual law that may be applicable in whatever country.

1. What is a solutions manual?

A solutions manual is a book or resource that contains the answers and explanations to the problems or exercises in a textbook. It is often used as a study aid for students or as a reference for instructors.

2. Are solutions manuals legitimate?

Yes, solutions manuals are legitimate and are often created and sold by the textbook publishers themselves. However, it is important to use them responsibly and not rely solely on them for completing assignments or exams.

3. Can solutions manuals be used for cheating?

While solutions manuals are meant to be used as a study aid, they can potentially be used for cheating if they are used to simply copy the answers without understanding the material. It is important for students to use solutions manuals ethically and to consult with their instructor if they have any questions or concerns.

4. Do solutions manuals have solutions to every problem?

No, solutions manuals typically only have solutions to a selection of problems from the textbook. However, they often cover the more difficult or complex problems, making them a valuable resource for students.

5. Can solutions manuals be used to teach a course?

Solutions manuals are not intended to be used as the primary teaching material for a course. They are meant to supplement the textbook and provide additional practice and understanding for students. Instructors should use their own discretion when incorporating solutions manuals into their teaching methods.