Instrumentation Amplifier Breadboard layout

In summary, the Homework statement states that the student needs to set up a blueprint for their instrumentation amplifier on a breadboard. The Attempt at a Solution states that the student is not sure how to make the circuit work and is looking for help. The student has drawn a circuit and is looking for help with assigning pins to the chip.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I need to set up a blueprint for my instrumentation amplifier on a breadboard shown on page 5 of the attached document

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how 2 op-amp chips will make 3 op-amps for the instrumentation amplifier. I'm also not sure how the figure on page 2 comes into play when creating the circuit on page 4. I don;t know where to attach grounds

here is what I have drawn so far for my amplifier circuit, I don't know where R4 should connect if there are only 2 omp amps and the diagram has 3.

Attachments

• Lab+4+Instrumentation+Amplifier+3.1.pdf
    553.7 KB · Views: 694
  • Instrumentation Amplifier Diagram attempt 1.png
    Instrumentation Amplifier Diagram attempt 1.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 825
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have the part numbers of the chips that will be used? It could very well be that they are dual op-amp chips, each containing two op-amps. If you have part numbers, go online and look up their spec sheets for the pinout.

From reading the lab, it doesn't seem to give the op-amp part number

Maylis said:
From reading the lab, it doesn't seem to give the op-amp part number

Perhaps the part number was mentioned in class? Or was used in a previous lab?

Perhaps, then it would be the TLC277 which we used in the previous lab

Maylis said:
Perhaps, then it would be the TLC277 which we used in the previous lab

Well, the TLC277 would fit the bill: Each chip has two op-amps. It's likely that you'll be using the same chip as previously used unless otherwise instructed. I would assume that you have its data sheet for the pinout? If not, it can be easily found on the web.

No. I am not comfortable with breadboard layouts, so I am not certain if my set up is the same as the figure.

You might want to use the two op-amps in the first chip for op-amps 1 and 2. Then use one op-amp from the second chip for op-amp 3. You have a certain amount of flexibility in how you arrange the parts. Some people plug all the parts into slots in some orderly fashion and then run jumpers to connect things. Others use the leads of the parts themselves and plug the components from point to point. Some mix and match.

It's good to keep a diagram of the chip pinout handy, and to assign buses for the -Vdd, +Vdd, and GND rails first.

Related to Instrumentation Amplifier Breadboard layout

1. What is an instrumentation amplifier breadboard layout?

An instrumentation amplifier breadboard layout is a physical representation of the connections and components used to construct an instrumentation amplifier circuit on a breadboard. This layout allows for easy and convenient testing and modification of the circuit.

2. Why is a breadboard layout important for instrumentation amplifier circuits?

Breadboard layouts allow for quick and easy prototyping of circuits, making it easier to test and modify the circuit design. This can save time and resources during the development process.

3. What components are typically used in an instrumentation amplifier breadboard layout?

Common components used in an instrumentation amplifier breadboard layout include resistors, capacitors, operational amplifiers, and potentiometers. Additional components may be used depending on the specific circuit design and application.

4. How do I design a layout for an instrumentation amplifier breadboard?

The design of a breadboard layout for an instrumentation amplifier circuit involves identifying the necessary components and their connections, and arranging them on the breadboard in a logical and organized manner. It is important to consider the layout of the breadboard and the placement of components to avoid potential interference or short circuits.

5. Are there any tips for troubleshooting an instrumentation amplifier breadboard layout?

If you encounter any issues with your instrumentation amplifier circuit on a breadboard, some common troubleshooting tips include checking for loose connections, ensuring all components are properly oriented, and using a multimeter to measure voltages at different points in the circuit. It may also be helpful to refer to the circuit design and datasheets for the components being used.