Instrumentation Course: PLC Programming for Beginners

In summary, the conversation discussed the importance of learning C before PLC programming and recommended becoming familiar with Karnaugh maps and PID control. It also emphasized the need to have field experience in order to write effective PLC programs.
Gursimranjeet
Hi everyone,
I have opted for an instrumentation course and I am worried about the programming part as i don't have much knowledge about programming. Is it necessary to learn C before learning PLC programming or i could start from plc programming? If I could start from plc then which book i should follow as a beginner?

Thanks in Advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Gursimranjeet said:
Is it necessary to learn C before learning PLC programming or i could start from plc programming?
C is a standard programming language, but there is no standard "PLC programming language". Every PLC manufacturer has his own PLC programming language and programming methods. Included in some PLC program is for example:

- Logical control which could be programmed by use of ladder network or sequential network.
- Dynamic control of motors ( e.g. PID controllers ).
- Human/machine interface ( HMI ).
- Local area network ( LAN ).

Gursimranjeet said:
If I could start from plc then which book i should follow as a beginner?
Generally it's a good idea to be familiar with Karnaugh maps ( reduction of logical expressions ) and PID control, but as said above, the method as how to implement the requirements, strongly depends on the PLC used.

Last edited:
Likes Gursimranjeet and JakeBrodskyPE
Hesch said:
Included in some PLC program is for example:
More detailed information:

https://www.udemy.com/plc-programming-from-scratch/

Likes Gursimranjeet
Relay Ladder Logic programing languages came into being because it tried to emulate what electricians were wiring up every day. In essence, they were attempting to take electricians and make them into programmers. That sort of thinking didn't always work well. They often wrote awful RLL software. However, the opposing point of view, that software programmers could write reasonable programs around an industrial process is also deeply flawed for the opposite reason.

Ultimately, to learn RLL well, you need to become intimately familiar with a process, and all the quirks of the I/O. For example, if a valve actuator is moved from, say 10% to 60% open, it may overshoot and need to work backwards a bit. This could confuse a poorly written program that just assumes that the actuator will always hit the target perfectly.

Your professor won't know a damned thing about these sorts of problems UNLESS they have at least a couple years of hard-hat field experience. If they have that, then pay attention! If they don't, or they consult here and there, you might as well focus on just passing the tests.

Likes Hesch and Gursimranjeet
Thanks a lot Hesch!

As i have done Degree in Electronics and have good knowledge about karnaugh maps and I will be studing about PID. Thanks for the link will look forward to join that.

Thanks

JakeBrodskyPE said:
Relay Ladder Logic programing languages came into being because it tried to emulate what electricians were wiring up every day. In essence, they were attempting to take electricians and make them into programmers. That sort of thinking didn't always work well. They often wrote awful RLL software. However, the opposing point of view, that software programmers could write reasonable programs around an industrial process is also deeply flawed for the opposite reason.

Ultimately, to learn RLL well, you need to become intimately familiar with a process, and all the quirks of the I/O. For example, if a valve actuator is moved from, say 10% to 60% open, it may overshoot and need to work backwards a bit. This could confuse a poorly written program that just assumes that the actuator will always hit the target perfectly.

Your professor won't know a damned thing about these sorts of problems UNLESS they have at least a couple years of hard-hat field experience. If they have that, then pay attention! If they don't, or they consult here and there, you might as well focus on just passing the tests.

Thanks Sir! I appreciate your valuable advise.

1. What is a PLC and why is it important in instrumentation?

A PLC, or Programmable Logic Controller, is a specialized computer used to control and automate industrial processes. It is important in instrumentation because it allows for precise and reliable control of equipment, leading to increased efficiency and productivity.

2. What are some common applications of PLC programming in instrumentation?

PLC programming is commonly used in instrumentation for tasks such as controlling motors, valves, and sensors; monitoring and logging data; and implementing safety protocols in industrial settings.

3. What skills are needed to learn PLC programming for instrumentation?

To learn PLC programming for instrumentation, one should have a basic understanding of electrical circuits and logic gates, as well as programming concepts such as variables, functions, and control structures. Familiarity with ladder logic, the most commonly used programming language for PLCs, is also beneficial.

4. What are some resources for beginners to learn PLC programming for instrumentation?

There are many resources available for beginners to learn PLC programming for instrumentation, including online tutorials, books, and courses. It is also helpful to practice with simulation software or a physical PLC trainer to gain hands-on experience.

5. How long does it typically take to learn PLC programming for instrumentation?

The time it takes to learn PLC programming for instrumentation can vary depending on the individual's prior knowledge and the depth of understanding they wish to achieve. Generally, it can take a few weeks to several months to gain a solid understanding of the concepts and skills needed for PLC programming in instrumentation.