R for Beginners: Textbooks & Resources for Neurobiology

• Thread starter cobalt124
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beginner
In summary, my daughter has just started her first year at university studying Neurobiology. She doesn't have much experience with programming and is having to learn R (RStudio 3.0.2) from scratch for the statistical modelling/graph plotting parts of the course. She knows what she needs to do with her data but not how to express the requirement in R. Are there any textbooks/online resources anyone could recommend for a beginner using R?Google is your friend, searching on R tutorial will bring up many good resources for her to
cobalt124
TL;DR Summary
R programming advice for a beginner
My daughter has just started her first year at university studying Neurobiology. She doesn’t have much experience with programming and is having to learn R (RStudio 3.0.2) from scratch for the statistical modelling/graph plotting parts of the course. She knows what she needs to do with her data but not how to express the requirement in R. Are there any textbooks/online resources anyone could recommend for a beginner using R?

Technology news on Phys.org
Google is your friend, searching on R tutorial will bring up many good resources for her to look at, in particular tutorialspoint is a good starting place:

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/r/index.htm

is R a course prerequisite?

If not there are other tools that may fit the bill such as MATLAB, Julia, or Python. A lot of stat modules are available for these more commonly used tools.

There are also some YouTube videos on R, here’s one such course

Likes FactChecker
Thanks for the links, I’ll pass them on. Yes RStudio is what she has to use. I did a Google search and checked the forum resources before posting. I mistakenly assumed R resources would be as common as for Python, that doesn’t seem to be the case. Think we’ll have to have a further search, thanks for the start.

Look at "R in a Nutshell". The O'Reilly Nutshell series of books are usually good and the R book is a good reference.

Likes jedishrfu
BTW the last time I looked for R books in a bookstore, they were not with the other programming books but were, instead, filed over in biology. Just in case you want to go browse books in person. Took me a while to find them.

Likes jedishrfu
Your daughter might also benefit from browsing https://rosettacode.org ##-## she can check how a given problem can be solved in R, and then review solutions to the same problem in e.g. Mathematica or Python.

Here's an example:

rosettacode.org said:
R being a statistical computating language, the chi-squared test is built in with the function "chisq.test"
Code:
dset1=c(199809,200665,199607,200270,199649)
dset2=c(522573,244456,139979,71531,21461)

chi2IsUniform<-function(dataset,significance=0.05){
  chi2IsUniform=(chisq.test(dataset)$p.value>significance)
}

for (ds in list(dset1,dset2)){
  print(c("Data set:",ds))
  print(chisq.test(ds))
  print(paste("uniform?",chi2IsUniform(ds)))
}
Output:
[1] "Data set:" "199809" "200665" "199607" "200270" "199649"

Chi-squared test for given probabilities

data: ds
X-squared = 4.1463, df = 4, p-value = 0.3866

[1] "uniform? TRUE"
[1] "Data set:" "522573" "244456" "139979" "71531" "21461"

Chi-squared test for given probabilities

data: ds
X-squared = 790063.3, df = 4, p-value < 2.2e-16

[1] "uniform? FALSE"
The same problem solved in Mathematica:
rosettacode.org said:
This code explicity assumes a discrete uniform distribution since the chi square test is a poor test choice for continuous distributions and requires Mathematica version 2 or later
Code:
discreteUniformDistributionQ[data_, {min_Integer, max_Integer}, confLevel_: .05] :=
If[$VersionNumber >= 8, 
  confLevel <= PearsonChiSquareTest[data, DiscreteUniformDistribution[{min, max}]],
  Block[{v, k = max - min, n = Length@data},
   v = (k + 1) (Plus @@ (((Length /@ Split[Sort@data]))^2))/n - n;
   GammaRegularized[k/2, 0, v/2] <= 1 - confLevel]]

discreteUniformDistributionQ[data_] :=discreteUniformDistributionQ[data, data[[Ordering[data][[{1, -1}]]]]]
code used to create test data requires Mathematica version 6 or later

uniformData = RandomInteger[10, 100];
nonUniformData = Total@RandomInteger[10, {5, 100}];
{discreteUniformDistributionQ[uniformData],discreteUniformDistributionQ[nonUniformData]}
Output:
{True,False}
The same problem solved in Python:
rosettacode.org said:
Implements the Chi Square Probability function with an integration. I'm sure there are better ways to do this. Compare to OCaml implementation.
Python:
import math
import random

def GammaInc_Q( a, x):
    a1 = a-1
    a2 = a-2
    def f0( t ):
        return t**a1*math.exp(-t)

def df0(t):
        return (a1-t)*t**a2*math.exp(-t)

y = a1
    while f0(y)*(x-y) >2.0e-8 and y < x: y += .3
    if y > x: y = x

h = 3.0e-4
    n = int(y/h)
    h = y/n
    hh = 0.5*h
    gamax = h * sum( f0(t)+hh*df0(t) for t in ( h*j for j in xrange(n-1, -1, -1)))

return gamax/gamma_spounge(a)

c = None
def gamma_spounge( z):
    global c
    a = 12

if c is None:
       k1_factrl = 1.0
       c = []
       c.append(math.sqrt(2.0*math.pi))
       for k in range(1,a):
          c.append( math.exp(a-k) * (a-k)**(k-0.5) / k1_factrl )
          k1_factrl *= -k

accm = c[0]
    for k in range(1,a):
        accm += c[k] / (z+k)
    accm *= math.exp( -(z+a)) * (z+a)**(z+0.5)
    return accm/z;

def chi2UniformDistance( dataSet ):
    expected = sum(dataSet)*1.0/len(dataSet)
    cntrd = (d-expected for d in dataSet)
    return sum(x*x for x in cntrd)/expected

def chi2Probability(dof, distance):
    return 1.0 - GammaInc_Q( 0.5*dof, 0.5*distance)

def chi2IsUniform(dataSet, significance):
    dof = len(dataSet)-1
    dist = chi2UniformDistance(dataSet)
    return chi2Probability( dof, dist ) > significance

dset1 = [ 199809, 200665, 199607, 200270, 199649 ]
dset2 = [ 522573, 244456, 139979,  71531,  21461 ]

for ds in (dset1, dset2):
    print "Data set:", ds
    dof = len(ds)-1
    distance =chi2UniformDistance(ds)
    print "dof: %d distance: %.4f" % (dof, distance),
    prob = chi2Probability( dof, distance)
    print "probability: %.4f"%prob,
    print "uniform? ", "Yes"if chi2IsUniform(ds,0.05) else "No"
Output:
Data set: [199809, 200665, 199607, 200270, 199649]
dof: 4 distance: 4.146280 probability: 0.3866 uniform? Yes
Data set: [522573, 244456, 139979, 71531, 21461]
dof: 4 distance: 790063.275940 probability: 0.0000 uniform? No

R is respected and well established as a statistics package. I would not advise her to worry about other languages unless it was unavoidable.

Last edited:
FactChecker said:
R is respected and well established as a statistics package. I would not advise her to worry about other languages unless it was unavoidable.
I think that it's clear from the direct comparison that the chi square function is more easily implemented in R ##-## the OP said that R was mandatory, anyway ##-## I presume that merely casually reading other languages for comparison purposes, as distinguished from coding in them, would not cause his daughter to become too distracted ##-## I agree that it's important to keep focused when learning a new programming language; however, I also suppose that seeing how things are done in other languages can help to bring about a valuable sense of perspective.

Likes FactChecker

1. What is "R" and why is it important for beginners in neurobiology?

"R" is a programming language commonly used for statistical analysis and data visualization. It is important for beginners in neurobiology because it allows for efficient data analysis and visualization, which are essential skills in the field.

2. Are there any recommended textbooks for learning "R" for neurobiology?

Yes, there are several textbooks that are recommended for learning "R" for neurobiology. Some popular options include "R for Data Science" by Hadley Wickham and Garrett Grolemund, and "Neuroinformatics with R" by Erik J. W. Boelen and Rolf F. Sprengel.

3. Are there any online resources available for learning "R" specifically for neurobiology?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning "R" for neurobiology. Some popular options include online courses on platforms like Coursera and Udemy, as well as tutorials and guides on neurobiology websites and forums.

4. Can "R" be used for data analysis in other fields besides neurobiology?

Yes, "R" can be used for data analysis in a wide range of fields, including genetics, ecology, and social sciences. Its versatility and user-friendly interface make it a popular choice for data analysis in various disciplines.

5. Is it necessary to have prior programming experience to learn "R" for neurobiology?

No, it is not necessary to have prior programming experience to learn "R" for neurobiology. However, having some basic understanding of programming concepts may make the learning process easier. There are also beginner-friendly resources available for those who are new to coding.