Insulator in an electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of electric field lines in a dielectric sphere placed in a homogeneous electric field. The figures A and C depict this behavior, with A showing the field lines normal to the surface where induced charges are present and C representing a lower electric field strength inside the sphere. It is also mentioned that the electric fields inside and outside the sphere are parallel at the interface, as dictated by boundary conditions.
Vibhor

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=61f39ea6474e68d1b6f7efec51916e80.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

I suppose the answers are A and C .A depicting the eletric field lines and C equipotential lines . Is it correct ?

I arrived at the answer by eliminating choices B and D . Since electric field lines cannot intersect ,option B was eliminated .Selecting A makes option C also correct .

But how do I be sure that A and C are correct options . What if there was a "None of these " options" ?

Please help me with the problem .

Thanks

Attachments

• insulator.PNG
    insulator.PNG
    8.9 KB · Views: 4,819
Physics news on Phys.org
Vibhor said:

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=61f39ea6474e68d1b6f7efec51916e80.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

I suppose the answers are A and C .A depicting the eletric field lines and C equipotential lines . Is it correct ?

I arrived at the answer by eliminating choices B and D . Since electric field lines cannot intersect ,option B was eliminated .Selecting A makes option C also correct .

But how do I be sure that A and C are correct options . What if there was a "None of these " options" ?

Please help me with the problem .

Thanks
Think what happens when a dielectric sphere is placed into a homogeneous electric field, The external field polarises the dielectric, dipole chain arise so some of the initial electric field lines inside the sphere are "enclosed" in the dipole chains. The dipoles end at the surface of the sphere and produce surface charge, which opposes the external field near the sphere. Are the figures correspond to this behaviour? You also see in Fig A that the field lines in the dielectric sphere are parallel with the external field. Should it be so?

Likes Vibhor
Thanks for replying .

Are A) and C) correct options ?

ehild said:
Think what happens when a dielectric sphere is placed into a homogeneous electric field, The external field polarises the dielectric, dipole chain arise so some of the initial electric field lines inside the sphere are "enclosed" in the dipole chains. The dipoles end at the surface of the sphere and produce surface charge, which opposes the external field near the sphere. Are the figures correspond to this behaviour?

I think A fulfills this behaviour . The electric field lines are normal to the surface where induced charges are present.

ehild said:
You also see in Fig A that the field lines in the dielectric sphere are parallel with the external field. Should it be so?

The magnitude of electric field inside the sphere should be less than outside . This is represented by density of field lines .This spacing between the field lines inside is more representing less EF strength inside.

But I am not confident whether field lines inside should be parallel with the external field ??

The polarization P is caused by the initial external field and it is parallel and proportional to that. The vector of dielectric displacement is D0E +P. Its normal component is continuous at the interface, while the tangential component of the electric field is continuous there. You can see where the surface of the sphere is normal to the original field, the bundary conditions dictate that the electric fields outside and inside are parallel.

I think this can be useful:
http://web.mit.edu/6.013_book/www/chapter6/6.6.html

1. What is an insulator in an electric field?

An insulator in an electric field is a material that does not allow electricity to pass through it easily. It has high resistance to the flow of electric current.

2. How does an insulator behave in an electric field compared to a conductor?

An insulator does not allow electric charges to flow freely, unlike a conductor which allows the charges to move. This is because insulators have tightly bound electrons, while conductors have loosely bound electrons that can easily move and conduct electricity.

3. What is the purpose of using insulators in electric fields?

The main purpose of using insulators in electric fields is to prevent the flow of electric current, thus protecting the surrounding objects or people from potential hazards. Insulators are also used to separate different electrical components and prevent short circuits.

4. How does the electric field affect an insulator?

The electric field exerts a force on the charged particles within an insulator. This force can cause the particles to align in a certain direction, resulting in polarization. This polarization creates an internal electric field within the insulator, which opposes the external electric field and prevents the flow of current.

5. Can an insulator become a conductor in an electric field?

In some cases, an insulator can become a conductor in an electric field if the electric field strength is strong enough to overcome the insulator's resistance. This process is known as dielectric breakdown and can occur in certain insulating materials such as air or plastic when subjected to high voltage or intense electric fields.