##\int_a^b x^2\sin(2x)dx## by substitution

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of a manipulation for a specific range of values for x. The manipulation involves integrating by parts and substituting u for cos2x. It is unclear if the manipulation is valid for the given range of x values, and further integration by parts may be necessary.
archaic
Would this be valid manipulation for ##x\in[0,\,\pi/2]##? I know that it is integrable by parts, I just want to know where did the manipulation become invalid, if it did, and why. Thank you!
$$\begin{align*}
\mathrm I&=\int_a^b x^2\sin2x\,dx\\
&\text{I know that }\frac{1}{2}\frac{d(-\cos2x)}{dx}=\sin2x\\
\mathrm I&= -\frac{1}{2}\int_a^b x^2\,d(\cos2x)\\
&=-\frac{1}{8}\int_a^b \arccos(\cos2x)\arccos(\cos2x)\,d(\cos2x)\\
&=-\frac{1}{8}\int_a^b \arccos^2(\cos2x)\,d(\cos2x)\text{ I let }u=\cos2x\\
&=-\frac{1}{8}\int_{\cos2a}^{\cos2b} \arccos^2(u)\,du
\end{align*}$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
archaic said:
Would this be valid manipulation for ##x\in[0,\,\pi/2]##? I know that it is integrable by parts, I just want to know where did the manipulation become invalid, if it did, and why. Thank you!
$$\begin{align*}
\mathrm I&=\int_a^b x^2\sin2x\,dx\\
&\text{I know that }\frac{1}{2}\frac{d(-\cos2x)}{dx}=\sin2x\\
\mathrm I&= -\frac{1}{2}\int_a^b x^2\,d(\cos2x)\\
&=-\frac{1}{8}\int_a^b \arccos(\cos2x)\arccos(\cos2x)\,d(\cos2x)\\
&=-\frac{1}{8}\int_a^b \arccos^2(\cos2x)\,d(\cos2x)\text{ I let }u=\cos2x\\
&=-\frac{1}{8}\int_{\cos2a}^{\cos2b} \arccos^2(u)\,du
\end{align*}$$

I think it looks okay. Although the final integral looks worse than what you started with to me.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
I think it looks okay. Although the final integral looks worse that what you started with to me.
Yes it also needs an integration by parts. I just wanted to make sure the manipulation is correct.

1. What is substitution in the context of integrals?

Substitution is a technique used in calculus to simplify integrals by replacing a complex expression with a simpler one. This is done by substituting a variable with another expression that is equivalent to it.

2. How do I know when to use substitution in integrals?

Substitution is typically used when the integrand (the expression being integrated) contains a function within a function, such as ##\sin(2x)## or ##e^{3x}##. It can also be used when the integrand contains a polynomial or a radical expression.

3. What is the general process for using substitution in integrals?

The general process for using substitution in integrals is as follows: 1) Identify the function within a function or the complex expression in the integrand. 2) Choose a substitution variable and express the complex expression in terms of that variable. 3) Substitute the expression with the variable in the integral. 4) Solve the integral using the substitution variable. 5) Substitute the original expression back in for the variable in the final answer.

4. Can you provide an example of solving an integral using substitution?

Sure, let's look at the integral ##\int_0^{\pi/2} x^2\sin(2x)dx##. We can use the substitution ##u = 2x##, which means ##du = 2dx##. Substituting this into the integral, we get ##\frac{1}{2}\int_0^{\pi} (u/2)^2\sin(u)du##. Simplifying, we get ##\frac{1}{8}\int_0^{\pi} u^2\sin(u)du##. We can now solve this integral using known techniques and then substitute back in for ##u## to get the final answer.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when using substitution in integrals?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to watch out for when using substitution in integrals. These include forgetting to substitute back in for the original expression, choosing an incorrect substitution variable, and not properly simplifying the integral after substitution. It is important to double check your work and make sure all steps are correctly followed.