Integral Applications: Rate of Change

In summary, the rate of change is a measure of how a quantity changes over time and is also known as the derivative in calculus. It is used in integral applications to find the total change or accumulation of a quantity over a certain period of time. The rate of change is directly related to the slope of a line, where the slope represents the rate of change between two points. Graphically, the rate of change can be represented by plotting the dependent variable on the y-axis and the independent variable on the x-axis. Real-life applications of rate of change include calculating speed, growth rates, chemical reactions, and analyzing changes in supply and demand and in physics.
olicoh
Hey guys,
I was wondering if you could just check this problem for me (I put it in a Word Document and attached it to this post).

The problem, my work, and my attempted solution is included in it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Problem 9.doc
    72.8 KB · Views: 295
Physics news on Phys.org
looks correct.

Very nicely formatted!

A couple of suggestions:
1) Include dt in your integral, like so
[tex]\int_0^{15}\left(\frac{40}{(2t + 1)^2}-60\right)dt[/tex]
2) Write your answer as a sentence, not an equation, and include units.

Related to Integral Applications: Rate of Change

1. What is the definition of rate of change?

The rate of change is a measure of how a quantity changes over time. It is the ratio of the change in the value of a variable to the change in time. It is also known as the derivative in calculus.

2. How is rate of change used in integral applications?

Rate of change is used in integral applications to find the total change or accumulation of a quantity over a certain period of time. This is done by taking the integral of the rate of change function over the given time interval.

3. What is the relationship between rate of change and slope?

The rate of change is directly related to the slope of a line. The slope of a line is the rate of change of the line. In other words, the slope is the rate at which the dependent variable changes with respect to the independent variable.

4. How can rate of change be represented graphically?

Rate of change can be represented graphically by plotting the dependent variable on the y-axis and the independent variable on the x-axis. The slope of the line connecting any two points on the graph represents the rate of change between those two points.

5. What are some real-life applications of rate of change?

Rate of change has many real-life applications, such as calculating the speed of an object, determining the growth rate of a population, or finding the rate at which a chemical reaction occurs. It is also used in economics to analyze changes in supply and demand, and in physics to study changes in position, velocity, and acceleration.