How do I change this integral limit from x to t?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with changing the integral limit from x to t in order to derive the kinetic energy formula. It is noted that the integral limit should change from x to v_f, the final velocity, and the lower limit should change from 0 to v_i, the initial velocity. It is also mentioned that the two last steps, where velocity is pulled out of the integral, are incorrect. Instead, the development should use a different integration variable and the velocity should not be moved outside the integral.
PainterGuy
Homework Statement
How do I change the integral limit from x to t.
Relevant Equations
I've included the equations in main posting. Thanks.
Hi,

It's not a homework problem. I was just doing it and couldn't find a way to change the integral limit from "x" to "t". I should end up with kinetic energy formula, (1/2)mv^2. I've assumed that what I've done is correct. Thank you!

1627697860496.png

Edit:
"E" is work done.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the very last step of your derivation, where you change the variable of integration from ##dx## to ##dv## the integral limit has to change but not from ##x## to ##t## but from ##x ## to ##v_f## that is the final velocity. Also the lower limit has to change from## 0## to ##v_i## that is the initial velocity.

P.S the two last steps where you pull out ##v## out of the integral, is not a correct thing to do. Velocity ##v## is a function of time and displacement ##x## is also a function of time, so there is an implicit equation between v and x, that is essentially velocity v is a function of distance x that is ##v=v(x)## so it just can't be taken out of the integral.

To see this more clearly, take the case where the force F is constant, hence we have constant acceleration ##a## and the velocity ##v(t)=at## (assuming zero initial velocity). But it is also $$x(t)=\frac{1}{2}at^2\Rightarrow t=\sqrt{\frac{2x}{a}}$$ and thus replacing this t in the first equation we get $$v(x)=a\sqrt{\frac{2x}{a}}=\sqrt{2ax}$$

Likes PainterGuy
You have two problems.

First you can't write ##\int_0^x F\,dx##. It doesn't mean anything, because you are using the same symbol for integration variable and limit.
So instead, use ##x'## as your integration variable: ##\int_0^x F\,dx'##.

Secondly, you can't move ##v## outside the integral as you do in the 2nd last step, because it changes with the integration variable ##x'##.

The development you want is:

$$
m\int_0^x \frac{dv}{dt}dx'
=m\int_{x'=0}^{x'=x} \frac{dx'}{dt}dv
=m\int_{v=v_0}^{v=v_x} v\,dv
$$
where ##v_0,v_x## are the velocities at locations 0 and ##x##.

The integration is then straightforward.

Likes PainterGuy

1. How do I change the integral limit from x to t?

To change the integral limit from x to t, you can use the substitution method. This involves replacing the variable x with t and adjusting the limits accordingly. You can also use the change of variables formula to transform the integral.

2. Can I change the integral limit to a different variable?

Yes, you can change the integral limit to any variable as long as it follows the substitution or change of variables method. The new variable should also be independent of the original variable in the integral.

3. Do I need to change the integral limit for every integral?

No, not every integral requires a change in the limit. It depends on the function and the desired outcome. Some integrals may be easier to solve with a change in limit, while others may not require it at all.

4. Can I change the integral limit to a range of values?

Yes, you can change the integral limit to a range of values, such as from a to b. This is useful when solving definite integrals, as it allows you to find the area under a curve between two specific points.

5. What is the purpose of changing the integral limit?

The purpose of changing the integral limit is to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. It can also help to transform the integral into a more familiar form, making it easier to apply certain integration techniques. Additionally, changing the limit can help to visualize the integral in a different way, leading to a better understanding of the underlying concept.