Integral calculus question, using limits.

In summary, by dividing a polygon with n equal sides inscribed in a circle with radius r into n congruent triangles with central angle 2pi/n, the area of the polygon can be calculated using the formula A = (1/2)nr^2sin(2pi/n). This is derived by using trigonometric identities and the fact that there are n triangles with a side of the polygon as its base. The Pythagorean theorem is not used in this derivation.
stripes

Homework Statement

Let A be the area of a polygon with n equal sides inscribed in a circle with radius r. By dividing the polygon into n congruent triangles with central angle 2pi/n, show that A = [tex](\frac{1}{2})nr^{2}sin(2(\pi)/n)[/tex]

Homework Equations

Area of a circle = pi x r^2
Area of triangle = (base x height)/2
sin x = opposite/hypotenuse

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is in the attached word document. I spent over an hour trying to use the latex/equation stuff, and normally I know how to use it, but it kept putting in stuff that I wasn't actually typing. Every line would just show up as something random.

I apologize in advance.

Attachments

• Question.doc
    241 KB · Views: 173
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't use the Pythagorean theorem to get h in terms of r and n. Instead, note that you have a right triangle with angle [itex]\theta/2[/itex], "near side" h and "hypotenuse" r. [itex]cos(\theta/2)= h/r[/itex] so [itex]h= r cos(\theta/2)[/itex]. Similarly, the base of the triangle is [itex]r sin(\theta/2)[/itex] so the area of each right triangle is [itex](1/2)r^2 sin(\theta/2)cos(\theta/2)[/itex].

Since sin(2x)= 2sin(x)cos(x) for any x, [itex]sin(\theta/2)cos(\theta/2)= (1/2)sin(\theta)[/itex]. And since each of the triangles having a side of the polygon as base is two of those right triangles, the area of each such triangle is [itex](1/2)r^2 sin(\theta)[/tex].

Now use the fact that there are n such triangles and that [itex]\theta= 2\pi/n[/itex]

makes perfect sense! Then all I need to do is multiply [itex](1/2)r^2 sin(\theta)[/itex] by [itex]n[/itex] and substitute [itex]\theta= 2\pi/n[/itex].

But, why wasn't I able to use Pythagorean theorem to find h?

Well, you could, but you clearly want everything in terms of [itex]\theta[/itex]. Writing h in terms of other things you don't know doesn't help!

Related to Integral calculus question, using limits.

1. What is integral calculus?

Integral calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a continuous interval. It is used to solve problems related to motion, volume, and other real-life applications.

2. What is the difference between integral calculus and differential calculus?

Differential calculus focuses on finding the rate of change of a function, while integral calculus deals with finding the total change or accumulation of a function over an interval. In other words, differential calculus deals with instantaneous changes, while integral calculus deals with accumulated changes.

3. What is a limit in integral calculus?

A limit in integral calculus is a mathematical concept that represents the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. It is used to define the boundaries of an integral, which is necessary for finding the area under a curve.

4. How do you use limits in integral calculus?

Limits are used in integral calculus to define the boundaries of the integral. The lower limit represents the starting point, while the upper limit represents the end point of the interval over which the accumulation is being calculated. The limit notation, ∫, is used to denote an integral.

5. What are the different methods for solving an integral using limits?

There are several methods for solving an integral using limits, including the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, integration by substitution, integration by parts, and numerical integration methods such as the trapezoidal rule and Simpson's rule. The method used depends on the complexity of the integral and the availability of antiderivatives of the function.