Integral equation. Please check

In summary, the conversation discusses the user's experience with integrals and their method of learning by playing with values. The user shares their findings for integrals involving polynomial functions and asks for confirmation that this method works for all polynomials. The response confirms that the method does work and can be proven by induction.
yyttr2
I have recently been playing with integrals and I still do not fully understand them.

Usually the best way for me to learn is to play with values and figure it out on my own, so I would like you (physics forum) to check my work so far.

After a bit of time I got this:

[tex]\int_{0}^{t}ax^ndx=\frac{at^{n+1}}{n+1}, n\neq-1[/tex]and after figuring out:
[tex]\int_{0}^{t}ax+bxdx=\int_{0}^{t}axdx+\int_{0}^{t}bxdx[/tex]

I got this equation.

[tex]\int_{0}^{t}ax^n+bx^{n-1}+cx^{n-2} \cdots +ex dx=\int_{0}^{t}ax^ndx+\int_{0}^{t}bx^{n-1}dx+\int_{0}^{t}cx^{n-2}dx \cdots +\int_{0}^{t}(ex)dx=\frac{at^{n+1}}{n+1}+\frac{bt^n}{n}+\frac{ct^n-1} {n-1} \cdots +et[/tex]

Is this true for all polynomials (in standard form)? or does it even work at all?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi yyttr2! :wink:

Yes, that's correct.

The integral of the sum is the sum of the integrals …

you can always split a sum (any sum, not just polynomials) into its separate parts, and integrate them separately. :smile:

(unless, of course, that requires you to add an ∞ and a minus ∞)

You can prove, in general, that
[tex]\int (f_1(x)+ f_2(x)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ f_n(x))dx= \int f_1(x)dx+ \int f_2(x)dx+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ \int f_n(x) dx[/tex]
by induction on n.

Related to Integral equation. Please check

1. What is an integral equation?

An integral equation is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function that appears under the integral sign. The unknown function is usually the solution to the equation and the integral represents some sort of averaging or accumulation process.

2. How is an integral equation different from a regular equation?

The main difference between an integral equation and a regular equation is that the unknown function in an integral equation appears under the integral sign. This makes it a more complex type of equation that requires different techniques and methods to solve.

3. What are some real-world applications of integral equations?

Integral equations have various applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. Some examples include solving heat transfer problems, modeling electrical circuits, and predicting the spread of diseases.

4. What are the different types of integral equations?

The two main types of integral equations are Fredholm equations and Volterra equations. Fredholm equations have a fixed upper limit in the integral, while Volterra equations have a variable upper limit that depends on the value of the unknown function.

5. How are integral equations solved?

There are various methods for solving integral equations, including the method of successive approximations, the method of eigenfunction expansions, and the method of moments. The most appropriate method depends on the specific type of integral equation and its application.