Integral for the linear speed of the Earth

In summary, the radius of the Earth is 6378137 meters. The Earth rotates at 6.963448857E-4 revs/min, and the angular speed is 0.000072921065826007 radians/second. To find the linear speed, you need to integrate from 0 to r.
matai
I need to make an integral to fine the speed of the earth. Say the radius is 6378137 meters. How would I account for things closer to the axis that have a radius of 0.0001 meters? I don't think I can just take the speed at the radius. So I found that the Earth rotates at 6.963448857E-4 revs/min then I convert that to radians to get 0.000072921065826007 radians/second, the angular speed. To get linear velocity I multiply ω by the radius, but I need to integrate from 0 to r? So would it be ∫ 0.000072921065826007*r dr a=0, b =6378137? I get 1.483237507 × 10^9. Does this seem right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The linear speed of Earth relative to what? Note that the rotation has absolutely nothing to do with the linear velocity of the Earth as a whole. The overall momentum of the Earth is zero in the Earth's centre of momentum frame by definition.

Orodruin said:
The linear speed of Earth relative to what? Note that the rotation has absolutely nothing to do with the linear velocity of the Earth as a whole. The overall momentum of the Earth is zero in the Earth's centre of momentum frame by definition.
I have to find the kinetic energy. And have that the mass is 5.9928982144×10^24kg from using the shell method and assuming that the Earth has a constant density of 5514 kg/m^3. So I need to linear speed, to put into the equation KE=1/2mv^2

What you need is the moment of inertia of the Earth. Note that assuming constant density is a pretty bad approximation (in particular as the core is denser - which significantly lowers the moment of inertia) and that the entire shell at radius ##r## is not moving with the same linear velocity.

matai said:
5.9928982144×10^24kg
This is way too many significant digits. The current precision in the value for the mass of the Earth is on the level of 0.01%.

Orodruin said:
What you need is the moment of inertia of the Earth. Note that assuming constant density is a pretty bad approximation (in particular as the core is denser - which significantly lowers the moment of inertia) and that the entire shell at radius ##r## is not moving with the same linear velocity.This is way too many significant digits. The current precision in the value for the mass of the Earth is on the level of 0.01%.
yeah I use inertia, but my calc teacher said she wants it in more of math terms so she didn't accept it when i did it with inertia

Well, why don't you show how to find the moment of inertia then? You should use calculus for that.

Related to Integral for the linear speed of the Earth

1. What is the integral for the linear speed of the Earth?

The integral for the linear speed of the Earth is the mathematical representation of the Earth's velocity over a given interval of time. It takes into account the Earth's rotation and revolution around the sun.

2. Why is the integral for the linear speed of the Earth important?

The integral for the linear speed of the Earth is important because it helps us understand the Earth's motion and its relationship with time. It also has practical applications in fields such as astronomy and navigation.

3. How is the integral for the linear speed of the Earth calculated?

The integral for the linear speed of the Earth is calculated by integrating the Earth's velocity function over a specific time interval. This involves finding the area under the velocity curve using calculus.

4. What factors affect the integral for the linear speed of the Earth?

The integral for the linear speed of the Earth is affected by various factors such as the Earth's tilt, the eccentricity of its orbit, and the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies. These factors can cause variations in the Earth's velocity over time.

5. Can the integral for the linear speed of the Earth change?

Yes, the integral for the linear speed of the Earth can change due to the aforementioned factors and other external influences. It is not a constant value and can vary over time.