Integral over C of f ds

• Thread starter dylanhouse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the problem is asking to find the integral over C of the function f=xy, where C is defined as {r=cos(2t), theta=2t, for 0<=t<=pi/2}. The integral can be solved using the formula integral over C of [fsqrt(r'^2+r^2(theta)'^2)]dt, and by converting the Cartesian coordinates x and y to polar coordinates r and theta. This can be done by using the given definition of C and expressing r and theta in terms of t.
dylanhouse

Homework Statement

I am asked to find the integral over C of fds given C={r=cos(2t), theta=2t, for 0<=t<=pi/2} and f=xy.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the integral over C of fds is the integral over C of [fsqrt(r'^2+r^2(theta)'^2)]dt, but I don't know how to convert my function f=xy into a function of t so that I can integrate using the dt. I know x=rcos(theta) and y=rsin(theta), but that doesn't allow me to integrate with respect to t.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're basically asked to do a weighted line integral. It is similar to finding the length of C (the "line" in question), except, instead of f=1, you have f=xy.

So, you want to convert x and y to r and θ. Then, r and θ will be expressed in terms of t.

Do you know how to convert x and y to polar coordinates?

If you get that far, then you will be able to convert the polar coordinates using the "C={..." statement you gave.

Perfect! I had converted x and y to polar coordinates but I was getting stuck with theta's and r's! I didn't realize that from how C was defined I could rewrite the r and theta's! Thanks a bunch.

You're welcome! That was usually my biggest hang-up with vector calculus was realizing the interplay between the functions and their domain, and how the domain of the function could be realized through simple direct substitution (say, x=f(t) and y=g(t) then integrate over t)

What is "Integral over C of f ds"?

"Integral over C of f ds" is a mathematical concept that represents the integral of a function f over a curve C. It is a way of calculating the total value of the function along the curve C, taking into account the length of the curve and the direction in which the curve is traversed.

How is "Integral over C of f ds" calculated?

The integral over C of f ds can be calculated using the line integral formula, which involves breaking the curve C into small segments and approximating the function f at each point. The total integral is then the sum of these approximations. This process can be made more accurate by using smaller segments and more advanced mathematical techniques.

What is the significance of "Integral over C of f ds"?

The integral over C of f ds is used in a variety of applications, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to calculate the total value of a function along a path, which can be useful for finding the work done by a force, the distance traveled by a moving object, or the total cost of a production process.

What are some common examples of "Integral over C of f ds"?

An example of "Integral over C of f ds" is calculating the work done by a force along a curved path. Another example is finding the distance traveled by a particle moving along a curved path with a varying velocity. Additionally, the concept of "Integral over C of f ds" can be applied in economics to calculate the total cost of production along a curved production function.

What are some common misconceptions about "Integral over C of f ds"?

One common misconception is that the integral over C of f ds is the same as the area under a curve. While they both involve integration, the integral over C of f ds takes into account the direction and length of the curve, whereas the area under a curve is only concerned with the value of the function. Another misconception is that the integral over C of f ds is only used in physics or engineering, when in fact it has applications in a variety of fields.