Integral problem reverse order

In summary, the conversation discusses an integral problem involving reversing the order of integration. The correct limits for the integral are determined to be x: [0,8], y: [x/8,1]. The conversation also mentions using substitution and integration by parts to find the anti-derivative of e^x^2, which cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions.
Damascus Road
Integral problem "reverse order"

Greetings,
This is from an online homework question:

Evaluate the integral by reversing the order of integration.

[tex]\int^{1}_{0}\int^{8}_{8y} e^{x^{2}}dxdy[/tex]

Although, I fail to see how this works, if I switch the order I get:

[tex]\int^{8}_{8y}\int^{1}_{0} e^{x^{2}}dydx[/tex]

after integrating wrt y, it boils down to

[tex]\int^{8}_{8y} e^{x^{2}}dy[/tex]

which won't give me a number... did I do something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

The limits of your integral depend on y, so you can't just switch the order of integration without changing the limits accordingly. Your integration region is {y: [0,1], x: [8y,8]}, so to switch the order of integration you need to figure out what the limits of y are in terms of x and what the constant limits of x are.

It helps to draw a picture of the region of integration. y runs from 0 to 1 along the y-axis, and since x is from 8y to 8, it runs from 0 to 8 along the x-axis, but you're only considering the area below the line x = 8y, or equivalently y = x/8.

So, the limits could equivalently be written as x: [0,8], y:[x/8,1]. So, when you go to integrate over y, you need to switch to these limits when you integrate.

Ohhh, thanks Mute. My bad.

So, after integrating wrt y, it becomes

[tex]\int^{8}_{0}[e^{x^{2}} - \frac{x}{8}e^{x^{2}}] dx[/tex]

requiring integration by parts, with a substitution...etc. Yes?

The outer integral is from 0 to 1/8, not from 0 to 8.
[tex]\int xe^{x^2} dx[/tex]
can be integrated by the substitution u= x2.

But
[itex]\int e^{x^2} dx[/tex[
does not have any elementary function as it anti-derivative.

So, your saying y runs from 0 to 1/8 and x runs from 1 to 1/8?

that doesn't make sense to me...

Related to Integral problem reverse order

1. What is an integral problem in reverse order?

An integral problem in reverse order is a mathematical question that involves finding the original function when given the integral of that function. In other words, instead of finding the area under a curve, the goal is to find the original curve itself.

2. Why is solving an integral problem in reverse order important?

Solving an integral problem in reverse order is important because it allows us to understand the relationship between a function and its integral. It also helps us to find the exact function when only the integral is known, which can be useful in real-life applications such as optimization and physics problems.

3. What are some common techniques for solving an integral problem in reverse order?

The most common techniques for solving an integral problem in reverse order include using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, integration by parts, and substitution. These techniques can be used depending on the complexity of the function and the specific problem at hand.

4. Are there any limitations to solving an integral problem in reverse order?

Yes, there are limitations to solving an integral problem in reverse order. Some functions may not have a closed-form solution, meaning that the exact function cannot be found using traditional integration techniques. In these cases, numerical methods may be used to approximate the function.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in solving integral problems in reverse order?

The best way to practice and improve your skills in solving integral problems in reverse order is to solve a variety of problems, starting with simpler ones and gradually increasing in difficulty. Online resources, textbooks, and practice problems can all be helpful in developing a strong understanding of this concept.