Integral with an inverse function limit

In summary, the integral equation given by the Mathematica user gives the following solution: -\frac{c}{z'(z^{-1}(c))} which can be separated and differentiated to give the following: z(y) = z(z-1(c)) = c.
Kvad
Hello,

I have tried the integral below with Mathematica and it gives me the following solution:

##\frac{d}{dc}\int_{z^{-1}(c)}^{1} z(x)dx = -\frac{c}{z'(z^{-1}(c))}##

I am not quite sure where it gets it from...I think it can be separated and with differentiation the first part will be zero:

##\frac{d}{dc}\int_{z^{-1}(c)}^{1}z(x)dx=\frac{d}{dc}\int_{0}^{1} z(x)dx-\frac{d}{dc}\int_{0}^{z^{-1}(c)} z(x)dx=-\frac{d}{dc}\int_{0}^{z^{-1}(c)} z(x)dx##

By the formula ##\frac{d}{dc}z^{-1}(c) = \frac{1}{z'(z^{-1}(c))}##, so it definitely has to play a role here, but how? and where does c come from? Do we need to somehow use chain rule here?

If the upper limit was just c it would be easy to take it with a Leibniz rule:

##-\frac{d}{dc}\int_{0}^{c} z(x)dx=z(c)##

However, it seems that when one of the limits is an inverse function, there is something different at work which I am not aware of...

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me struggle through this in my own way.
I find it useful to give familiar-looking names to things wherever possible.
So let's put
z-1(c) = y
and ∫z(x)dx = Z,
and I'll call the integral-derivative we have to evaluate F.

So we have to evaluate F = (d/dc)( Z(1) -Z(y) ),
which immediately becomes
-(d/dc)Z(y) = -(dZ(y)/dy). (dy/dc)
= z(y).(dy/dc)

But z(y) = z(z-1(c)) = c
So we have
F = c.(dy/dc) . . . . . . .(A)

Now z-1(c) = y by definition; so
c = z(y), and, differentiating,
dc/dy =dz/dy,
or if we invert,
dy/dc = 1/(dz/dy) = 1/z'(y)
= 1/z'( z-1(c) )

Substitute this for dy/dc in (A) and I think we're done.

Likes FactChecker
Thank you, it makes sense now!

1. What is an integral with an inverse function limit?

An integral with an inverse function limit is a mathematical concept where the limit of an inverse function is used to solve an integral. This involves finding the value of the integral by taking the limit of the inverse function as the independent variable approaches a certain value.

2. How is an inverse function limit used in integrals?

An inverse function limit is used in integrals to solve for the value of the integral when the integrand cannot be easily integrated. By taking the limit of the inverse function, the value of the integral can be found.

3. What is the relationship between inverse functions and integrals?

Inverse functions and integrals are closely related because the limit of an inverse function can be used to solve for the value of an integral. This allows for more complex integrals to be solved using inverse functions.

4. Can an inverse function limit always be used to solve an integral?

No, an inverse function limit can only be used to solve an integral when the integral is in a form that can be solved using inverse functions. Some integrals may require other methods of integration.

5. Are there any limitations to using an inverse function limit in integrals?

While an inverse function limit can be a useful tool in solving integrals, there are limitations to its use. It may not always be possible to find the limit of an inverse function, and it may not always provide an accurate solution to the integral.