Integral with trig substitution

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of trigonometric substitution to integrate the expression x^2/(x^4+6x^2+9). The individual provides their attempt at a solution, which includes using partial fraction decomposition and a trigonometric substitution. However, there are some mistakes in their work, and others in the conversation offer advice and corrections. Eventually, the individual corrects their mistakes and arrives at the correct solution, which involves using the double angle formula and integrating cos(t)^2.
howsockgothap

Homework Statement

Using trig substitution integrate x2/(x4+6x2+9)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm almost completely positive I need to use partial fraction decomposition... doing this I end up having the integral of 1/(x2+3)-3/(x2+3)2

There aren't any square roots in that, so I don't understand how to set up my trig substitution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the substitution

[tex] x = \sqrt{3} \tan \theta [/tex]

You want to write the sum x^2+3 as a single term. How about x=sqrt(3)*tan(t)?

Ok working that out I get sqrt3sec2(t)/(sqrt3sec(t)) - 3sqrt3sec2(t)/3sec2(t)...

so by this it seems I need to take the integral of sec(t)-sqrt3 dt

Does this seem correct?

howsockgothap said:
Ok working that out I get sqrt3sec2(t)/(sqrt3sec(t)) - 3sqrt3sec2(t)/3sec2(t)...

so by this it seems I need to take the integral of sec(t)-sqrt3 dt

Does this seem correct?

It would seem correct if I intentionally try to make a ton of algebraic mistakes. Can you show what you did to get there so that people can help you correct them?

Yes, follow what Dick is saying and learn some Latex so that equations are readable . Its very easy to master

My main message is that the content is wrong. The main problem is that you didn't show how you got there, so what you are doing wrong is anyones guess. isaacNewton is right, that latex would make it easier to read. But it's not essential. Just show how you got there.

Some general advice of trig substitutions:

The use of trig subst. applies to any of the three forms:
[tex]x^2 + a^2, \quad x^2 - a^2, \quad a^2 - x^2[/tex]
where you need to convert this to a single factor.

The applicable identities are the various forms of the Pythagorean identity:
[tex]\cos^2(t) + \sin^2(t) = 1\leftrightarrow 1 - \sin^2(t)=\cos^2(t)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\cos^2(t) + \sin^2(t) = 1}{\cos^2(t)}\to 1 + \tan^2(t) = \sec^2(t) \leftrightarrow \sec^2(t) - 1 = \tan^2(t)[/tex]

and similarly dividing by sine squared but this gives identities with no further utility than what we have already.

One applies the appropriate substitution:
[tex]x^2 + a^2 \to x = a \tan(t)[/tex]
[tex]x^2 - a^2, \to x = a \sec(t)[/tex]
[tex] a^2 - x^2 \to x = a \sin(t)[/tex]

and this gives a single term instead of a sum of two squared terms... which may or may not be useful in integration but typically gives a useful path to the appropriate anti-derivative. It is not always the case that one is resolving a radical and one can usually carry out an equivalent non-trigonometric algebraic manipulation to accomplish the same task. However such alternatives typically require a great deal of insight, luck, and/or experience while the trig substitutions allow for systematic attack.

You may, for example carry out the appropriate trig substitution prior to partial fraction decomposition, and indeed it may even save you some work later. Partial fraction decomposition of trig-substitutable expressions have parallel trig identities which may be applied but needn't be if the original integrand is simpler.

Finally don't forget those differential factors in the substitution, you wish to integrate: [tex]\frac{x^2}{x^4+6x^2+9} dx[/tex]
not just
[tex]\frac{x^2}{x^4+6x^2+9} [/tex]

If x = sqrt3 tan(t) then dx=sqrt3 sec2(t) and x2+3=sqrt3 sec(t)

I plugged that into 1/(x2+3)dx -3/(x2+3)2dx

so: (sqrt3 sec2(t))/(sqrt3 sec(t)) dt - 3sqrt3sec2(t)/3sec2(t)

I canceled out everything I could to get sec(t)-sqrt3 dt...

which is wrong, obviously. I guess that should instead be that sqrt(x2+3)=sqrt3 sec(t)

Last edited:
one of the mistakes found...in the first line, it should be

[tex] dx= \sqrt{3} \sec^2(t) \,\, dt [/tex]

howsockgothap said:
If x = sqrt3 tan(t) then dx=sqrt3 sec2(t) and x2+3=sec(t)

I plugged that into 1/(x2+3)dx -3/(x2+3)2dx

so: (sqrt3 sec2(t))/(sqrt3 sec(t)) dt - 3sqrt3sec2(t)/3sec2(t)

I canceled out everything I could to get sec(t)-sqrt3 dt

x^2+3 isn't sec(t). It's 3*sec(t)^2, isn't it? Showing what you did does help.

Right, so fixing both of those mistakes I work it down to 1/sqrt3 - sqrt3/3sec2(t)

since it becomes (1/(3sec2t) - 3/(9sec4t)) sqrt3sec2tdt

and at least according to my messed up math that just leaves me with t/sqrt3 - the integral of (3/sqrt3) cos2t

howsockgothap said:
Right, so fixing both of those mistakes I work it down to 1/sqrt3 - sqrt3/3sec2(t)

since it becomes (1/(3sec2t) - 3/(9sec4t)) sqrt3sec2tdtand at least according to my messed up math that just leaves me with t/sqrt3 - the integral of (3/sqrt3) cos2t

Your messed up math is getting less messed up by the minute. Now you just have to integrate cos(t)^2. And then find that expression in terms of x. If you really need to go back to x.

Alright, so I use the double angle formula and the integrand becomes -sqrt3/6 (1+cos2t)

Plus of course t/sqrt3 from earlier

Then I just work that out, and I ended up with (sqrt3/6)(t+sin2t)

And if that's right, I think I've got it from there.

Found a mistake in my own work already. Should be -sin2t

howsockgothap said:
Alright, so I use the double angle formula and the integrand becomes -sqrt3/6 (1+cos2t)

Plus of course t/sqrt3 from earlier

Then I just work that out, and I ended up with (sqrt3/6)(t+sin2t)

And if that's right, I think I've got it from there.

I think you might be off by maybe a factor of 2 and a sign. Might want to check it again. But you've got all the right ideas now, so I'm as likely to have made a mistake as you are.

howsockgothap said:
Found a mistake in my own work already. Should be -sin2t

Bravo. It's just mechanics now.

Related to Integral with trig substitution

What is "Integral with trig substitution"?

"Integral with trig substitution" is a type of integration technique where trigonometric functions are used to substitute for other variables in an integral. It is often used to simplify integrals that involve radicals or rational functions.

Why is trig substitution used in integrals?

Trig substitution is used in integrals because it can help to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. It can also help to transform the integral into a form that is easier to integrate using other techniques.

What are the steps to using trig substitution in an integral?

The steps to using trig substitution in an integral are:

1. Identify if the integral can be simplified using trig substitution.
  2. Select the appropriate trigonometric function to substitute.
  3. Replace the variable in the integral with the trigonometric function.
  4. Use trigonometric identities to simplify the integral.
  5. Solve the integral using other integration techniques.

What are some common trigonometric substitutions used in integrals?

Some common trigonometric substitutions used in integrals are:

• Sine substitution: Used when the integral contains √(a² - x²) or √(x² - a²).
  • Cosine substitution: Used when the integral contains √(a² + x²) or √(x² - a²).
  • Tangent substitution: Used when the integral contains √(a² + x²) or √(a² - x²).

Are there any limitations to using trig substitution in integrals?

Yes, there are some limitations to using trig substitution in integrals. It may not work for all types of integrals and can sometimes lead to more complex integrals that are difficult to solve. It is important to carefully identify if trig substitution is appropriate for a particular integral before using it.