Integration question involving square root

There are several different ones you could try, so just pick one and see where it leads you. Good luck!In summary, the conversation is about integrating two equations with a constant k and using a substitution to simplify the integral. The person is unsure of what substitution to use and is seeking help. They are advised to try different things and look for a trig substitution.
binbagsss
Member warned that an effort must be shown

Homework Statement

How to integrate

## \frac{dx}{dt}=\sqrt{\frac{k}{x}-1}##

AND

## \frac{dx}{dt}=\sqrt{\frac{k}{x}+1}##

k a constant here.

I'm unsure what substitution to do.
Many thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't really get started as I'm unsure what substition is needed.
I think a trig but don't know what?many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

How to integrate

## \frac{dx}{dt}=\sqrt{\frac{k}{x}-1}##

AND

## \frac{dx}{dt}=\sqrt{\frac{k}{x}+1}##

k a constant here.

I'm unsure what substitution to do.
Many thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't really get started as I'm unsure what substition is needed.
I think a trig but don't know what?many thanks in advance.

You need to show more effort. Just try lots of different things. Some of them will be a wast of time, but others should work. Trying it on your own first is the only way to learn.

Try expressing your integrals in a form that can be found in a table of integrals. It took me two minutes to find the answer to your question. If you are supposed to derive your answer from first principles, at least you will have something to work towards.

Fred Wright said:
Try expressing your integrals in a form that can be found in a table of integrals. It took me two minutes to find the answer to your question. If you are supposed to derive your answer from first principles, at least you will have something to work towards.

I've been warned already. cheers for the input though my good pal ;)

binbagsss said:
I can't really get started
A good start would be to write as an integral, in as simple a form as you can, instead of leaving it as a differential equation.
Next, look for a substitution that gets k out of the way. Then think about a trig substitution.

What is an integration question involving square root?

An integration question involving square root is a type of mathematical problem that requires finding the antiderivative of a function containing a square root. This is also known as solving for the integral of a square root function.

How do I solve an integration question involving square root?

To solve an integration question involving square root, you can use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. It is important to understand the properties and rules of integration in order to successfully solve these types of questions.

What are some common mistakes when solving an integration question involving square root?

Some common mistakes when solving an integration question involving square root include forgetting to include the constant of integration, making errors in the substitution process, and not simplifying the answer. It is important to carefully check your work and double check your steps to avoid these mistakes.

Can I use a calculator to solve an integration question involving square root?

While some calculators may have the capability to solve integration problems, it is important to understand the steps and concepts behind solving these types of questions. Using a calculator alone may not help you fully understand the solution process.

Why is solving integration questions involving square root important?

Integration questions involving square root are important because they are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. They also help in understanding and solving more complex integration problems.