Integrate wave function squared - M. Chester text

In summary, using the state function and integration limits given, the probability of finding the bead between L/24 and L/8 is 1/12 + sqrt(3)/16pi, which is different from the answer given in the text. However, after checking with Wolfram, it seems that the book's answer may be a typo and the calculations are correct.
GreyNoise
Gold Member

Homework Statement

given: A wire loop with a circumference of L has a bead that moves freely around it. The momentum state function for the bead is ## \psi(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin \left (\frac{4\pi}{L}x \right ) ##
find: The probability of finding the bead between ## \textstyle \frac{L}{24} ## and ## \textstyle \frac{L}{8} ##

Homework Equations

## \int_{a}^{b}|<x| \psi >|^2 dx = \int_{a}^{b} | \psi(x) |^2 dx ##

## \psi(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin \left ( \frac{4\pi}{L}x \right ) \hspace{10mm}## the state function

The Attempt at a Solution

## \displaystyle \int_{a}^{b}|\lt x|\psi\gt|^2 dx = \int_{a}^{b} | \psi(x) |^2 dx ##

## {\displaystyle \int_{\frac{L}{24}}^{\frac{L}{8}} \left [ \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin \left ( \frac{4\pi}{L}x \right ) \right ]^2 dx } \hspace{10mm} ## sub ## \textstyle \psi(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin \left ( \frac{4\pi}{L}x \right ) ## and integration limits

## \displaystyle \int_{\frac{L}{24}}^{\frac{L}{8}} \left [ \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin \left ( \frac{4\pi}{L}x \right ) \right ]^2 dx = \left. \frac{x}{L} - \frac{ \sin \left ( \frac{8\pi}{L}x \right )}{8\pi} \right |_{\frac{L}{24}}^{\frac{L}{8}} ##

## \displaystyle = \frac{1}{L}\frac{L}{8} - \frac{ \sin \left ( \frac{8\pi}{L}\frac{L}{8} \right ) }{8\pi} - \left [ \frac{1}{L}\frac{L}{24} - \frac{ \sin \left ( \frac{8\pi}{L}\frac{L}{24} \right ) }{8\pi} \right ]
= \frac{1}{8} - \frac{1}{24} + \frac{ \sin \left ( \frac{\pi}{3} \right ) }{8\pi} ##

## = \displaystyle \frac{1}{12} + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{16\pi} ##

The answer given in the text is ##\frac{1}{12} + \frac{1}{16\pi}##. I cannot shake the ## \sqrt{3} ## in the second term. I even checked my evaluation of the integral on the Wolfram site, and it returned the same integral solution as I got. The book is Primer of Quantum Mechanics by Marvin Chester (Dover Publ). It appears to be a first edition, so I guess it's plausible that the text's answer is a typo, but I felt the need to consult the community. Can anyone show me what I am doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
In a quick check, I think your calculations are correct, and that the book is in error.

Thnx Charles. I am confident of my own answer then.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of a quantum system that describes the probability of finding a particle at a certain position or energy level. It is used to study the behavior of particles at the microscopic level.

2. What does it mean to integrate a wave function squared?

Integrating a wave function squared means finding the area under the curve of the function. In the context of quantum mechanics, it is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle within a certain range of values.

3. Why is it important to integrate the wave function squared in M. Chester's text?

M. Chester's text likely discusses the integration of the wave function squared because it is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that allows us to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes in a quantum system. It is also a key step in solving many quantum mechanical problems.

4. Can you explain the process of integrating a wave function squared?

To integrate a wave function squared, you first square the wave function, which means multiplying it by itself. Then, you use mathematical techniques, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, to find the area under the squared wave function curve.

5. What are some real-world applications of integrating wave function squared?

The integration of wave function squared is used in many areas of modern technology, such as in the development of electronic devices and in quantum computing. It is also used in chemistry to understand the behavior of atoms and molecules, and in biology to study the behavior of proteins and other biomolecules.