Integrated Sachs Wolfe Effect - redshifting?

• Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the Sachs-Wolfe effect and its relation to the accelerated expansion of the universe due to dark energy. It is mentioned that even strong potential wells and voids can decay over time due to the energy kick that photons receive when entering and exiting them. The conversation then questions how this phenomenon can be applied to superclusters, which cannot be described by the FRW metric. The response suggests that the cosmological constant plays a role in the decay of gravitational potential wells and voids, impacting larger systems more significantly.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I think this have been discussed a lot, however, here it comes again right in front of me. I'm talking about this article (and also in my class notes):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sachs–Wolfe_effect#Integrated_Sachs.E2.80.93Wolfe_effect

and in particular at this paragraph:

Accelerated expansion due to dark energy causes even strong large-scale potential wells (superclusters) and hills (voids) to decay over the time it takes a photon to travel through them. A photon gets a kick of energy going into a potential well (a supercluster), and it keeps some of that energy after it exits, after the well has been stretched out and shallowed. Similarly, a photon has to expend energy entering a supervoid, but will not get all of it back upon exiting the slightly squashed potential hill.

So my problem is, how can you talk about an accelerated universe when you look at a supercluster object?
The accelerated universe makes sense in the FRW metric. However a supercluster (a group of galaxies+clusters that I believe are gravitationally bound -and so the gravitational redshifting of ISW) cannot be described by FRW metric... So how does the well gets "stretched" during the photon's stay in it?

Space news on Phys.org
A cosmological constant makes it so that gravitationally-bound systems aren't perfectly stable over time. The larger the system is, the more it is impacted. The cosmological constant causes gravitational potential wells and voids to decay over time.

1. What is the Integrated Sachs Wolfe Effect?

The Integrated Sachs Wolfe Effect (ISW) is a phenomenon in cosmology where the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation is affected by the large-scale structure of the universe. This effect results in temperature fluctuations in the CMB, which can be measured and studied to understand the underlying structure of the universe.

2. How does the ISW effect cause redshifting?

The ISW effect causes redshifting by altering the energy of the photons in the CMB as they travel through regions of varying gravitational potential. As photons pass through regions of higher gravitational potential, they gain energy and become more blue-shifted. Conversely, as they pass through regions of lower gravitational potential, they lose energy and become more redshifted.

3. What causes the gravitational potential variations that result in the ISW effect?

The gravitational potential variations that cause the ISW effect are primarily due to the distribution of matter in the universe. As matter clusters and forms large-scale structures such as galaxy clusters, it creates regions of higher and lower gravitational potential that can affect the CMB photons passing through.

4. How is the ISW effect related to dark energy and the expansion of the universe?

The ISW effect is related to dark energy and the expansion of the universe because the large-scale structures that cause the ISW effect are affected by the expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, the gravitational potentials of these structures change, causing fluctuations in the CMB. Additionally, dark energy is thought to play a role in the acceleration of the expansion of the universe, which can also impact the ISW effect.

5. What are the implications of studying the ISW effect for our understanding of the universe?

Studying the ISW effect can provide valuable insights into the structure and evolution of the universe. By analyzing the temperature fluctuations in the CMB caused by the ISW effect, scientists can better understand the distribution of matter and dark energy in the universe. This can help us refine our models of cosmology and potentially uncover new information about the origins and fate of the universe.