Integrating a function from 0 to infinity correctly?

In summary, The integral of the Planck function, after factoring out constants and substituting x = hv/kT, is equal to the result of ∏4/15. This can be derived using the identity \int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^3 dx}{e^x-1} =\int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^{4-1} dx}{e^x-1} = \zeta (4)\Gamma (4) = \frac{\pi ^4}{90}\cdot 3! = \frac{\pi ^4}{15}. However, this derivation may be beyond the scope of the course and may require further understanding of the concept.
ck99

Homework Statement

I am trying to integrate the PLanck function to get the Stefan Boltzmann law. After factoring out constants, and substituting x = hv/kT I am left with the following integral:

B(T) = ∫ x3/(ex - 1) dx integrated from 0 to ∞

The next step in my notes is that the result of this integral is ∏4/15 and I have no idea how this is done!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried Wolfram with this and it gave such a complicated answer that I was even more confused - certainly it looked nothing like the one in the notes! I know asking for help shouldn't be my first resort, but have no idea how to begin tackling this I'm afraid.

Physics news on Phys.org
ck99 said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to integrate the PLanck function to get the Stefan Boltzmann law. After factoring out constants, and substituting x = hv/kT I am left with the following integral:

B(T) = ∫ x3/(ex - 1) dx integrated from 0 to ∞

The next step in my notes is that the result of this integral is ∏4/15 and I have no idea how this is done!

I tried Wolfram with this and it gave such a complicated answer that I was even more confused - certainly it looked nothing like the one in the notes! I know asking for help shouldn't be my first resort, but have no idea how to begin tackling this I'm afraid.

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^3 dx}{e^x-1} =\int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^{4-1} dx}{e^x-1} = \zeta (4)\Gamma (4) = \frac{\pi ^4}{90}\cdot 3! = \frac{\pi ^4}{15}[/tex]

cosmology at Chile University? ?

Ah, thanks for the help but I think that derivation is beyond the scope of this course. (certainly it's beyond me!)

Related to Integrating a function from 0 to infinity correctly?

1. How do I know if I am integrating a function from 0 to infinity correctly?

One way to check if you are integrating a function from 0 to infinity correctly is to use the limit comparison test or the comparison test. These tests can help determine if the integral converges or diverges and can be used to check the accuracy of the integration.

2. Do I need to use any special techniques when integrating from 0 to infinity?

Yes, integrating from 0 to infinity often requires the use of special techniques such as substitution, partial fractions, or integration by parts. These techniques help simplify the integral and make it easier to evaluate.

3. Can I use any integration method for integrating from 0 to infinity?

No, not all integration methods can be used for integrating from 0 to infinity. Some common methods, such as the power rule or the product rule, are not applicable for these types of integrals. It is important to use methods specifically designed for integrating from 0 to infinity.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when integrating from 0 to infinity?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid when integrating from 0 to infinity. These include forgetting to apply the limits of integration or incorrectly setting up the integral, not using the correct integration method, and making algebraic errors while simplifying the integrand.

5. How can I use the concept of convergence to help me integrate from 0 to infinity?

The concept of convergence can be used to determine if the integral from 0 to infinity converges or diverges. If the integral converges, it means that the area under the curve is finite and can be evaluated. If the integral diverges, it means that the area under the curve is infinite and the integral cannot be evaluated.