Integrating arcsinh in a Radiological Dose Problem

• Thread starter rapmasterj729
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the author is trying to do a radiolgoical dose over equivalent fields problem and is stuck after the first integral. They ask for help and the person responds with a summary of the content.
rapmasterj729
Hello, I am attempting to do a radiolgoical dose over equivalent fields problem. I have the following integral that I am trying to show each step for but am getting tricked up after the first integration. Any help would be greatly appreciated:

Homework Statement

∫∫((1/√((x^2)+(y^2)))-μ')dxdy (μ' is a constant)also note the limits on X:0→L, and Y:0→W
Solution: 2L*ln((D+W)/L)+2W*ln((L+D)/W)+μ'LW (where D=sqrt((W^2)+(L^2)))

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I can get through the first integration:
∫asinh((L/y)-μ'L)dy
Not sure what to do with the arcsinh, maybe express as logarithm?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the inverse hyperbolic sine can be written as a logarithm: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/InverseHyperbolicSine.html . You should be able to write your first integral as ln(2(L + sqrt((L^2 + y^2))) - Lμ', though, which is different from what you got, although I may have read your integral badly. It doesn't get much nicer.
The term sqrt(x^2 + y^2) may mean an easier integral in polar coordinates. The rectangular region of integration then changes to r in [0, Lsec(t)] and t in [0, arctan(W/L)] plus a second integral with r in [0, Wcsc(t)] and t in [arctan(W/L), pi/2]. Your integral then simplifies to
[tex]\int_0^{\arctan\left(\frac{W}{L}\right)} \int_0^{L\sec\theta} 1 - \mu'r dr d\theta + \int_{\arctan\left(\frac{W}{L}\right)}^\frac{\pi}{2}\int_0^{W\csc\theta} 1 - \mu'r dr d\theta[/tex]
This gives the same result with more transparent integrals.

Do you know how to convert to polar co-ordinates? The bounds are a bit tricky, but not too bad. For the second integral you'll need to integrate a secant (or two).

Thank you for your help

What is the integral of arcsinh(1/x)dx?

The integral of arcsinh(1/x)dx is given by x*arcsinh(1/x)-sqrt(x^2+1)+C, where C is the constant of integration.

How do you solve the integral of arcsinh(1/x)dx?

To solve the integral of arcsinh(1/x)dx, you can use the substitution method. Let u=1/x, then dx=-du/u^2. Substituting these values into the integral, we get -∫arcsinh(u)*du+∫u*sqrt(u^2+1)*du. Using integration by parts on the second integral, we get the final solution mentioned in the previous answer.

What is the domain of the integral of arcsinh(1/x)dx?

The domain of the integral of arcsinh(1/x)dx is the set of all real numbers except 0, as the function is not defined at 0 since the argument of the inverse hyperbolic sine function cannot be 0.

Is the integral of arcsinh(1/x)dx convergent or divergent?

The integral of arcsinh(1/x)dx is convergent as long as the limits of integration are finite and the function is continuous within that interval. However, if the limits of integration approach infinity, the integral becomes divergent.

What are the applications of the integral of arcsinh(1/x)dx?

The integral of arcsinh(1/x)dx has applications in computing the area under a curve, calculating the length of a curve, and solving problems in physics and engineering involving inverse hyperbolic functions.