Integrating both sides of an equation question

• I
  • Thread starter TomServo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
In summary, the equation is saying to integrate both sides with respect to t' and r, but what needs to be specified is the relationship between t' and r, so that the corresponding limits on the integrals can be defined.
TomServo
I am studying a paper and a math step like this was used:

[tex]
dt'=(1+\frac{h}{2}sin^2(\theta))dr \\
\int^{t1}_t dt'=\int^d_0 (1+\frac{h}{2}sin^2(\theta))dr \\
where\\
h=h(t-\frac{r}{c}-\frac{r}{c}cos(\theta))
[/tex]

This seems wrong because it seems to me that you're not doing the same thing to both sides of the equation. You ought to integrate both sides with respect to t', correct? Is there some change of variables I'm not seeing here? Or in infinitesimal equations like that, can you really just integrate each term with respect to the differential factor's corresponding variable?

Physics news on Phys.org
You ought to integrate both sides with respect to t', correct?
No.

What needs to be specified is the relationship between t' and r, so that the corresponding limits on the integrals can be defined.

The entire right side goes from t to t1, but r only goes from 0 to d. The limits of the right side are the limits of r.
Consider a simple equation like y=2x.
dy=2dx.
01dy = ∫01/22dx

Actually you are correct, you can't just arbitrarily integrate both sides of an equation with respect to different variables any more than you can differentiate the two sides of an equation with respect to different variables or multiply the two sides by different numbers. This is a question that arises in every calc 1 class because it does look wrong. There is actually a change of variable involved. What you are actually saying is that t is a function of r: [tex]t = f(r)[/tex]. Then [tex]\frac{{dt}}{{dr}} = f'(r)[/tex] and [tex]\int {\frac{{dt}}{{dr}}dr = \int {dt = } \int {f'(r)dr} } [/tex]. The limits are found from the original functional relationship between the two variables.

Likes Stephen Tashi and TomServo
mathman said:
No.

What needs to be specified is the relationship between t' and r, so that the corresponding limits on the integrals can be defined.

t'=t+r/c-(r/c)cos(theta)

alan2 said:
Actually you are correct, you can't just arbitrarily integrate both sides of an equation with respect to different variables any more than you can differentiate the two sides of an equation with respect to different variables or multiply the two sides by different numbers. This is a question that arises in every calc 1 class because it does look wrong. There is actually a change of variable involved. What you are actually saying is that t is a function of r: [tex]t = f(r)[/tex]. Then [tex]\frac{{dt}}{{dr}} = f'(r)[/tex] and [tex]\int {\frac{{dt}}{{dr}}dr = \int {dt = } \int {f'(r)dr} } [/tex]. The limits are found from the original functional relationship between the two variables.

I think that is what I first considered and wound up with a factor that had its numerator and denominator opposite of what the paper had.

alan2 said:

NM, I found out what I was doing wrong. Thanks for confirming that my initial hunch on what was going on was correct, even if I botched the execution.

1. What does it mean to integrate both sides of an equation?

Integrating both sides of an equation means performing the same mathematical operation on both sides of the equation in order to simplify and solve for the unknown variable.

2. Why would you need to integrate both sides of an equation?

Integrating both sides of an equation is often necessary in order to solve for the unknown variable and find the solution to the equation.

3. How do you integrate both sides of an equation?

To integrate both sides of an equation, you must perform the same mathematical operation on each side, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division.

4. Can you integrate both sides of an equation with different operations?

Yes, you can integrate both sides of an equation with different operations, as long as the operations are performed on both sides of the equation in the same way.

5. When should you integrate both sides of an equation?

You should integrate both sides of an equation when you need to solve for the unknown variable and simplify the equation in order to find the solution.