Integrating cot(x) by partswhat's wrong?

• Thread starter abel_ghita
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
In summary, the student attempted to integrate by parts but made a number of sign-related mistakes. This is not a valid approach for this integral.
abel_ghita

Homework Statement

I=∫cot(x)dx

Homework Equations

wht's wrong in this approach (integrating by parts)

The Attempt at a Solution

I=∫cot(x)dx=∫[itex]\frac{cos(x)}{sin(x)}[/itex]dx=∫[itex]\frac{-(sin(x))'}{sin(x)}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{-sin(x)}{sin(x)}[/itex]-∫-sin(x)([itex]\frac{1}{sin^2(x)}[/itex])'dx=-1+∫sin(x)[itex]\frac{-cos(x)}{(sin(x))^2}[/itex]=-1-∫[itex]\frac{cos(x)}{sin(x)}[/itex]
⇔I+C=-1-I⇔I=-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] → I=C1??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have made a number of sign-related mistakes. You should have obtained I = 1 + I. This seems puzzling, but if you recall that any indefinite integral is defined up to an arbitrary constant, this is normal.

What this really means is that this technique cannot be used with this integral.

voko said:
You have made a number of sign-related mistakes. You should have obtained I = 1 + I. This seems puzzling, but if you recall that any indefinite integral is defined up to an arbitrary constant, this is normal.

What this really means is that this technique cannot be used with this integral.

You better check again..I don't think I've done any sign-related mistake..tell me where!..and I don't think there's any problem regarding that's an indefinite integral..I'll add the constant, you're right..but any integral shoul depend on a variable, right??
well I know ∫cot(x) = -ln|sin(x)| ..yet wht's wrong with my approach??

abel_ghita said:
You better check again..I don't think I've done any sign-related mistake..

Yes you did. Try this again.

Whovian said:
Yes you did. Try this again.

**** :eek:..srry mate..hope I can delete the post :shy:

For one obvious point, cos(x) is NOT -(sin(x))'.

yes, you're all right! sorry!

though..waht if we make it a definite integral..let's say between pi/6 and pi/3 (so we have no problem with the existence of cot in any point)..so we end up again with I=1+I..
wht does it mean?

abel_ghita said:

Homework Statement

I=∫cot(x)dx

Homework Equations

wht's wrong in this approach (integrating by parts)

The Attempt at a Solution

I=∫cot(x)dx=∫[itex]\frac{cos(x)}{sin(x)}[/itex]dx=∫[itex]\frac{-(sin(x))'}{sin(x)}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{-sin(x)}{sin(x)}[/itex]-∫-sin(x)([itex]\frac{1}{sin^2(x)}[/itex])'dx=-1+∫sin(x)[itex]\frac{-cos(x)}{(sin(x))^2}[/itex]=-1-∫[itex]\frac{cos(x)}{sin(x)}[/itex]
⇔I+C=-1-I⇔I=-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] → I=C1??
This integration can be done using substitution.

The secant & cosecant functions can be integrated using integration by parts.

When you do a definite integral, you get [tex]I = [1]_a^b + I = 1 - 1 + I = I[/tex]

uh.. yes.. thanks a lot!
it seems today i got some lack of attention..
Thanks again!

Related to Integrating cot(x) by partswhat's wrong?

1. What is the formula for integrating cot(x) by parts?

The formula for integrating cot(x) by parts is ∫cot(x)dx = ln|sin(x)| + C.

2. How do you choose which part to differentiate and which part to integrate when using the integration by parts method?

When using the integration by parts method, you should choose the part that becomes simpler after differentiation as the part to differentiate, and the part that becomes more complicated after integration as the part to integrate.

3. Why is integrating cot(x) by parts sometimes considered difficult?

Integrating cot(x) by parts can be considered difficult because it involves multiple steps and can be challenging to identify which parts to differentiate and integrate. It also requires knowledge of trigonometric identities and integration techniques.

4. Can the integration by parts method be used for any function?

Yes, the integration by parts method can be used for any function as long as it can be expressed as a product of two functions. However, it may not always be the most efficient method of integration for certain functions.

5. What are some common mistakes when integrating cot(x) by parts?

Some common mistakes when integrating cot(x) by parts include not applying the integration by parts formula correctly, not choosing the correct parts to differentiate and integrate, and making errors in simplifying the resulting integral. It is important to carefully follow each step and double-check your work to avoid mistakes.