Integrating from R to r: Potential Contribution & Reasoning

In summary: But that's just a thought, I'm not sure how to do that.Right you are. I was thinking of integrating the force to find what would be the gradient of the potential. But that's just a thought, I'm not sure how to do that.
phantomvommand
Homework Statement
I am trying to calculate the potential in the sphere at a distance r away from the centre, where r < R, R is the radius of the sphere.
Relevant Equations
##V = - \int \vec E \cdot d \vec l ##
## V = \frac {1} {4 \pi \varepsilon} \int \frac {\rho} {r} dV ##
The potential contribution from R > 0 is simple. My next step is to integrate from R to r. With regards to the integration from R to r, the 2nd method gives a potential contribution that is the negative of the 1st method. What is the reason?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nvm I think the 2nd method is impossible. Each differential element of charge is at a different distance away from the point where radius = r, and furthermore, the denominator should be the distance between the differential element of charge and the point where radius = r. Please check if I'm right on this

It's not clear what you're doing from your posts. Is the sphere a solid sphere of charge with constant charge density ##\rho##, or a spherical shell of charge with surface density ##\sigma##?

phantomvommand said:
The potential contribution from R > 0 is simple. My next step is to integrate from R to r. With regards to the integration from R to r, the 2nd method gives a potential contribution that is the negative of the 1st method. What is the reason?
It's a mystery to me what you did in both cases. Did you mean ##R>0## or ##r>R##? Are you integrating from infinity?

phantomvommand said:
Nvm I think the 2nd method is impossible. Each differential element of charge is at a different distance away from the point where radius = r, and furthermore, the denominator should be the distance between the differential element of charge and the point where radius = r. Please check if I'm right on this
That's right if I'm thinking what you're thinking, but I'll note the 2nd method is not impossible. Depending on your approach, you may need mathematical techniques you haven't learned yet, though.

Likes Orodruin
vela said:
It's not clear what you're doing from your posts. Is the sphere a solid sphere of charge with constant charge density ##\rho##, or a spherical shell of charge with surface density ##\sigma##?It's a mystery to me what you did in both cases. Did you mean ##R>0## or ##r>R##? Are you integrating from infinity?That's right if I'm thinking what you're thinking, but I'll note the 2nd method is not impossible. Depending on your approach, you may need mathematical techniques you haven't learned yet, though.
To use the 2nd approach, I suppose you would have to add up the potential contribution of all infinitesimal elements in the sphere? So it would be a volume integral, though each elements is at a different distance away.

phantomvommand said:
To use the 2nd approach, I suppose you would have to add up the potential contribution of all infinitesimal elements in the sphere? So it would be a volume integral, though each elements is at a different distance away.
Yes. And the contributions are in different directions. So, in the absence of a useful symmetry, you'll be adding vectors.

Edit: Egg on face here as pointed out.

Last edited:
phantomvommand said:
Homework Statement:: I am trying to calculate the potential in the sphere at a distance r away from the centre, where r < R, R is the radius of the sphere.
The potential at fixed point ##r## inside the sphere (##r<R##) is the sum of two terms:
1. The potential at the outer surface of a charged sphere of radius ##r##.
2. The potential at the inner surface of a charged shell of inner radius ##r## and outer radius ##R##.
The two contributions need to be calculated separately. You do this by considering shells of thickness ##dr'## from ##r'= 0## to ##r'=R## and noting that the electric field is zero when ##r'>r## and goes as ##r^{-2}## for ##r'<r##.

Likes PeroK
jbriggs444 said:
Yes. And the contributions are in different directions. So, in the absence of a useful symmetry, you'll be adding vectors.
Isnt potential a scaler quantity? i don't think we are adding vectors here.

Likes jbriggs444
phantomvommand said:
Isnt potential a scaler quantity? i don't think we are adding vectors here.
Right you are. I was thinking of integrating the force to find what would be the gradient of the potential.

1. What is the difference between R and r in the context of integration?

R and r are both commonly used in mathematics and statistics, but they refer to different things. R typically represents a correlation coefficient, while r represents a radius or distance. In the context of integration, R typically refers to the upper bound of integration, while r refers to the lower bound.

2. How does integrating from R to r contribute to scientific research?

Integrating from R to r allows scientists to analyze and understand complex data sets and relationships between variables. It can help identify patterns and trends, and can also be used to make predictions and inform decision making. Additionally, integrating from R to r can help validate or refute existing theories and hypotheses.

3. What is the reasoning behind integrating from R to r?

The reasoning behind integrating from R to r is to calculate the area under a curve or the volume under a surface. This can provide valuable information about the relationship between variables and can be used to make predictions or draw conclusions about a system or phenomenon.

4. What are some common applications of integrating from R to r?

Integrating from R to r has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It is commonly used to calculate work, energy, and power in physics; to determine the optimal solution in engineering problems; to analyze supply and demand curves in economics; and to model population growth in biology.

5. What are some challenges when integrating from R to r?

One of the main challenges when integrating from R to r is determining the appropriate bounds of integration. This can be especially difficult when dealing with complex functions or data sets. Additionally, numerical integration methods may be needed for functions that cannot be integrated analytically. Another challenge is ensuring the accuracy of the integration, as small errors can lead to significant differences in the final result.