Integrating the solar wind equation

In summary, the conversation is about solving Parker's solar wind equation, with the focus on the different solutions obtained by the individual and the internet. The individual has integrated the equation and obtained a different solution compared to the one found on the internet. The individual is unsure of why this difference exists and asks for clarification. Another person points out that the 4 in the individual's solution should be a 2, and suggests multiplying through by 2/Cs2 to get a closer solution. The only remaining discrepancy is the order of r/rc and rc/r, which may be due to a misquote.
Jdraper
Hi, eveyone have been struggling to do this problem for a long time now, figured it is something very simple I am missing so thought I should ask here.

1. Homework Statement

Parker's solar wind equation is given after some manipulation as:

(v - (Cs2 / v) dv/dr = 2 (Cs2 / r2) (r - rc )

where rc = GMm/4kT (the critical radius)
and
Cs2 = 2kT/m (coronal sound speed)

The Attempt at a Solution

So using the usual method I separate the variables and integrate this equation to get:

v2 / 2 - Cs2 log(v) = 2Cs2 log(r) + (4Cs2 rc / r) + C

where C is the constant of integration. However every solution

However every solution I see around the internet and indeed in my notes quotes the solution:

(v2 / Cs2) - log(v2/ Cs2) = 4log(r/rc) + 4(r/rc)

and I cannot seem to figure out why. Am I missing something blindingly obvious here?

Thanks for your time, John.

Physics news on Phys.org
In your integration, the 4 should be 2.
You can get your version a lot closer by mutiplying through by 2/Cs2.
The v2 inside the log comes from bringing in the factor of 2 from outside, and the /Cs2 may come from your constant of integration. (Likewise the /rc in the other log.)
Theonly discrepancy that leaves is r/rc versus rc/r. Are you sure you have quoted that correctly?

What is the solar wind equation?

The solar wind equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior and dynamics of the solar wind, which is a stream of charged particles emanating from the Sun.

Why is it important to integrate the solar wind equation?

Integrating the solar wind equation allows us to better understand and predict the behavior of the solar wind, which has significant impacts on Earth's magnetic field, space weather, and the stability of our planet's atmosphere.

What factors are involved in the solar wind equation?

The solar wind equation takes into account the mass, velocity, and density of the solar wind particles, as well as the magnetic field of the Sun and the effects of solar flares and other solar activity.

How is the solar wind equation used in space research?

The solar wind equation is used in various space research studies, such as studying the effects of solar wind on spacecraft, predicting space weather events, and understanding the interactions between the solar wind and Earth's magnetic field.

What are the current challenges in integrating the solar wind equation?

One of the biggest challenges in integrating the solar wind equation is the complexity of the solar wind itself, as well as the constantly changing conditions of the Sun. Additionally, there is still much to learn about the behavior of the solar wind and its interactions with Earth's magnetic field.