Integrating with Substitution: Clarifying the Contour and Chain Rule

Summary: In summary, the person has made some progress in understanding the problem. They mention that the substitution rule only applies when the substitution is a one-to-one function and that the left-hand side of the equation should be written with a new contour of integration. They also mention using the chain rule for the second term.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

mffundodmainsubrule.png

Homework Equations

below

The Attempt at a Solution

I have shown that the first identity holds true. Because this is true without it being surrounded by an integral I guess you would need to integrate it all around the same contour ##C##. So say I have:

## _C \int \frac{f'(\gamma(t)) d(\gamma(t))}{f(\gamma((t))} = _C \int \frac{f'(t) d(t)}{f(t)} + _C \int \frac{k c}{ct+d} dt ##

(Although I am confused because usually when you have what is the left-hand side you have the substitutin rule if ##f(x) \to f(y(x))## then ## _{c(x)} \int f(x) dx \to _{c(y(x))} \int f(y(x)) y'(x) dx## where ##c(x)## is the contour of integration in the original coordinates. (2).)

In which case then does the second expression via applying the substituion integral rule on the left hand side term (as in the first expression) to ## c \to \gamma t ## and ##f(\gamma t) \to f(t) ## etc. However substitution rule as above (2) I can't seem to understand, I have if ## c \to \gamma t ## , ##f'(\gamma t) \to f'(\gamma (\gamma(t)) ## etc to get ## _{\gamma(c)} \int \frac{f'(\gamma(\gamma(t)) d(\gamma(\gamma(t))}{f(\gamma(\gamma(t)))} ##

Have I applied the substitution rule wrong or should my starting expression instead be:

## _{\gamma(C)} \int \frac{f'(\gamma(t)) d(\gamma(t))}{f(\gamma((t))} = _C \int \frac{f'(t) d(t)}{f(t)} + _C \int \frac{k c}{ct+d} dt ##

many thanks

Attachments

• mffundodmainsubrule.png
    mffundodmainsubrule.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,446
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have made some progress in understanding the problem, but there are a few points that need clarification. First, it is important to note that the integration rule you mentioned in (2) only applies when the substitution is a one-to-one function. In this case, the substitution is not one-to-one, so we cannot use that rule directly.

Secondly, when you perform the substitution ##c \to \gamma t##, you are essentially changing the contour of integration from ##C## to ##\gamma(C)##. This means that the left-hand side of your equation should be written as follows:

$$ _{\gamma(C)} \int \frac{f'(\gamma(t)) d(\gamma(t))}{f(\gamma(t))} = _C \int \frac{f'(\gamma(t)) \gamma'(t) dt}{f(\gamma(t))} $$

Note that the substitution rule is not needed here, as it is already accounted for by changing the contour of integration.

Finally, to make the substitution in the second term, we need to use the chain rule. So the second term should be written as:

$$ _C \int \frac{k c}{ct+d} dt = _C \int \frac{k \gamma(t)}{\gamma(t) t + d} \gamma'(t) dt $$

I hope this helps clarify things. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the substitution rule in integration?

The substitution rule, also known as the u-substitution method, is a technique used in integration to simplify integrals by replacing a variable with a new variable. This new variable, called the substitution variable, is chosen in a way that it makes the integral easier to solve.

2. How do you use the substitution rule in integration?

To use the substitution rule in integration, first identify a part of the integral that can be replaced by a new variable. This new variable should be equal to the derivative of another part of the integral. Then, substitute the new variable and its derivative into the integral and solve it using the usual integration techniques.

3. What are the benefits of using the substitution rule in integration?

The substitution rule can make complicated integrals easier to solve by simplifying the integrand. It also allows for the use of other integration techniques, such as integration by parts, which may not have been possible without the substitution. This method can also save time and effort in solving integrals.

4. What are some common mistakes when using the substitution rule in integration?

Some common mistakes when using the substitution rule include choosing the wrong substitution variable, not accounting for the change in limits of integration, and not simplifying the integral after substitution. It is important to carefully choose the substitution variable and to check the final solution with the original integral to avoid these mistakes.

5. Can the substitution rule be used in all integration problems?

No, the substitution rule can only be used in certain integrals where a suitable substitution variable can be identified. It may not work for all integrals, and in some cases, other integration techniques may be more appropriate. It is important to recognize when the substitution rule can be applied and when other methods should be used.