Integration by Parts Contradiction

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem in which the integral of 1/x is evaluated using integration by parts and results in a contradiction. However, it is explained that this is not actually a contradiction as a constant can be added to the integral. The conversation also explores the concept of continuously integrating by parts and how it relates to the original problem.
neo_
Ok guys, this is my first post. Please go easy...:redface:

This question is from Morris Kline's Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach and unfortunately there aren't solutions for all questions (really annoying).

I'm not even sure if this counts as a contradiction but anyway:

Let us evaluate int.(1/x)dx by parts. If we let u=1/x and dv=1dx, we obtain int.(dx/x)=1 + int.(dx/x). Then 1=0. What is wrong?

I would really appreciate a simple explanation from any of you experienced brains out there! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's what I think. Let:
[tex]g(x) := \int f(x)dx \quad \mbox{and} \quad h(x):= \int f(x)dx[/tex]. Then, you do not have g(x) - h(x) = 0, you will have g(x) - h(x) = C, where C is some constant.
So here's the same, you can say that:
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{x} - \int \frac{dx}{x} = C[/tex], where C is some constant.
So it's not a contradiction...
Viet Dao,

I get you Viet Dao... I don't think I would not have thought that way at all on my own... not tonight anyway. Thanks.

Here's a thought I just had:
Could int.(dx/x) = C + int.(dx/x) , where C is some constant other than 1, be eventuated from Int. by Parts?

You can continue integrating by parts, something like:
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{x} = 1 + \int \frac{dx}{x} = 1 + \left( 1 + \int \frac{dx}{x} \right) = 1 + 1 + .. + 1 + \left( 1 + \int \frac{dx}{x} \right)[/tex].
So you'll have:
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \int \frac{dx}{x} - \int \frac{dx}{x} = 1 + 1 + 1 + ... + 1[/tex].
Viet Dao,

Gotcha, excellent explanation.

Related to Integration by Parts Contradiction

What is integration by parts contradiction?

Integration by parts contradiction refers to a situation in which the application of the integration by parts method results in a contradiction, such as an infinite or undefined answer.

Why does integration by parts sometimes result in a contradiction?

Integration by parts involves breaking down a complex integral into simpler parts, and sometimes the chosen parts may lead to a contradiction when integrated. This can happen when the chosen parts do not follow the rules of integration, such as when they are not continuous or differentiable.

How can I avoid a contradiction when using integration by parts?

To avoid a contradiction when using integration by parts, it is important to carefully choose the parts to be integrated. These parts should follow the rules of integration and should lead to a solvable integral.

What are some common examples of integration by parts contradictions?

Some common examples of integration by parts contradictions include integrals involving logarithmic and inverse trigonometric functions, as well as integrals involving exponential functions raised to a power.

What should I do if I encounter a contradiction when using integration by parts?

If you encounter a contradiction when using integration by parts, it is important to carefully check your work and reevaluate your chosen parts. If necessary, you may need to use a different method of integration or seek assistance from a tutor or peer.