Integration by parts trial and error

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of using integration by parts to solve the integral of ln(7x+9). It is determined that the correct choice for u is ln(7x+9), and the conversation continues to explain the steps of solving the integral. There is also a discussion about choosing u and dv in general, and it is noted that du=1/(x+9)*7 dx. The final answer is given as 1/7(7x+9)(log(7x+9)1).
XedLos

Homework Statement

[tex]\int[/tex]ln(7x+9)dx

Homework Equations

derivative of ln is 1/x

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I am just learning IBP so i set u=7x+9 dv=lndx but I am stuck there. How do you know which to make ur u is there a way or is it trial and error
Can i split the integral as:

∫ln(7x)+∫9

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you're doing by parts, note that the integrand expression (ln(7x+9)) must be comprised of udv, where u*dv. So u cannot be inside the ln expression. Let u=ln(7x+9). Continue from here.

In general, you should let u be an expression easy to differentiate and dv be the expression easy to integrate, and make sure that vdu is easy to integrate as well. It's some trial and error which gets better with experience.

u=ln(7x+9)
du=1/(x+9)dx

dv=dx
v=x

using the IBP formula i get:

ln(7x+9)x- (1/7)∫x*(1/x+9) dx

is this right or have i made a mistake

du is wrong.

du=1/(x+9)*7 dx

ok so my answer i got is

1/7(7x+9)(log(7x+9)1)

Your du is still incorrect. How do you differentiate ln(f(x))?

what do u mean how should it be

Related to Integration by parts trial and error

What is integration by parts trial and error?

Integration by parts trial and error is a method used in mathematics to solve integrals that cannot be solved using traditional methods. It involves selecting parts of the integral to be solved using different techniques and then rearranging the equation to find the solution.

When is integration by parts trial and error used?

This method is typically used when the integral involves a product of two functions or when it contains functions that cannot be easily integrated. It can also be used to simplify integrals with complicated terms.

What is the general formula for integration by parts trial and error?

The general formula for integration by parts trial and error is ∫ u dv = uv − ∫ v du, where u and v are functions of x and dv and du are their respective differentials.

What is the purpose of using trial and error in integration by parts?

The purpose of using trial and error in integration by parts is to find a combination of u and v that simplifies the integral and makes it easier to solve. It involves trying different combinations until a solution is found.

What are some tips for using integration by parts trial and error effectively?

Some tips for using this method effectively include choosing u and v carefully, using substitution to simplify the integral before applying integration by parts, and trying different combinations until a solution is found. It is also important to be familiar with the different integration techniques to determine which one to use for each part of the integral.