Integration problem using u substitution

In summary: Undoing the substitution at the end allows you to keep the same limits of integration throughout. I've been careful to identify them as x values through each step.Yes, but this assumes that you know what you do. We would simply skip the steps of conversion and reversion in between. But for students who still learn it, it's better not to skip steps. I remember integrals, where one substitution chased the other, so it's better to keep track of the boundaries. It's a potential source of...disorientation.
Lazy Rat

Homework Statement

## \int {sin} \frac{\pi x} {L} dx ##

Homework Equations

u substitution

The Attempt at a Solution

If i make ## u = \frac{\pi x} {L} ## and then derive u I get ## \frac {\pi}{L} ## yet the final solution has ## \frac {L}{\pi} ##
The final solution is ## \frac {L}{\pi} - cos \frac {\pi x} {L} + C ##

What I am struggling to understand is why it becomes ## \frac {L}{\pi} ## instead of ## \frac {\pi}{L} ## ?

I would very much appreciate some assistance regarding this.

Thank you
Lazy

Physics news on Phys.org
Lazy Rat said:

Homework Statement

## \int {sin} \frac{\pi x} {L} dx ##

Homework Equations

u substitution

The Attempt at a Solution

If i make ## u = \frac{\pi x} {L} ## and then derive u I get ## \frac {\pi}{L} ## yet the final solution has ## \frac {L}{\pi} ##
The final solution is ## \frac {L}{\pi} - cos \frac {\pi x} {L} + C ##

What I am struggling to understand is why it becomes ## \frac {L}{\pi} ## instead of ## \frac {\pi}{L} ## ?

I would very much appreciate some assistance regarding this.

Thank you
Lazy
Write it out. You have ##\dfrac{du}{dx}=\dfrac{\pi}{L}##. Now what do you get for ##c## in ##dx=c \cdot du\,## which has to be replaced?

Im sorry fresh_42 I am finding difficult to follow that logic. Are you asking what i would get for the constant?

Lazy Rat said:
Im sorry fresh_42 I am finding difficult to follow that logic. Are you asking what i would get for the constant?
Perhaps I shouldn't have chosen ##c## as name for my proportional factor. I just wanted you to calculate ##dx## so that you can substitute it by ##du## in the integral and then write the integral in terms of only ##u's##.

So rearranging I get ## dx = \frac {du\: L}{\pi} ## then the ## du ## part becomes the next step in ## \sin du ## ?

Lazy Rat said:
So rearranging I get ## dx = \frac {du\: L}{\pi} ## then the ## du ## part becomes the next step in ## \sin du ## ?
Not quite. After the substitution, your integral becomes ##\int \sin(u) \frac L\pi du = \frac L \pi \int \sin(u) du##

Lazy Rat said:
Yes, with that, you substitute what you have: ##\int \sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})dx = \int \sin(u) dx = \int \sin(u) \frac{du L}{\pi}= \frac{L}{\pi} \int \sin (u)\, du##

Likes Lazy Rat
Lazy Rat said:
If i make ## u = \frac{\pi x} {L} ## and then derive u I get ## \frac {\pi}{L} ##
Actually you're finding the differential of u, which would be ##du = \frac \pi L dx##.

Likes Lazy Rat
thank you for your assistance chaps.

Lazy Rat said:
thank you for your assistance chaps.
Just a final remark: If you should have a definite integral, say ##\int_a^b \sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})dx## then you also have to adjust the boundaries. They actually mean ##\int_{x=a}^{x=b} \sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})dx##, so we get for the ##u-##notation
$$
\int_{a}^{b} \sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})dx = \int_{x=a}^{x=b} \sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})dx = \frac{L}{\pi} \int_{u=\frac{\pi a}{L}}^{u=\frac{\pi b}{L}} \sin(u)du =\frac{L}{\pi} \int_{\frac{\pi a}{L}}^{\frac{\pi b}{L}} \sin(u)du
$$

Likes Lazy Rat
fresh_42 said:
Just a final remark: If you should have a definite integral, say ##\int_a^b \sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})dx## then you also have to adjust the boundaries.
Not necessarily. After you've found the antiderivative, you can simply undo the substitution.

##\int_{x = a}^{b} \sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})dx = \int_{x = a}^{b} \sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})dx = \frac{L}{\pi} \int_{x = a}^{b} \sin(u)du =\frac{L}{\pi} \int_{x = a}^{b} \sin(u)du = -\frac{L}{\pi}\cos(u) |_{x = a}^b = -\frac{L}{\pi}\cos(\frac{\pi x}L) |_{x = a}^b##.

Undoing the substitution at the end allows you to keep the same limits of integration throughout. I've been careful to identify them as x values through each step.

Mark44 said:
Not necessarily. After you've found the antiderivative, you can simply undo the substitution.

##\int_{x = a}^{b} \sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})dx = \int_{x = a}^{b} \sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})dx = \frac{L}{\pi} \int_{x = a}^{b} \sin(u)du =\frac{L}{\pi} \int_{x = a}^{b} \sin(u)du = -\frac{L}{\pi}\cos(u) |_{x = a}^b = -\frac{L}{\pi}\cos(\frac{\pi x}L) |_{x = a}^b##.

Undoing the substitution at the end allows you to keep the same limits of integration throughout. I've been careful to identify them as x values through each step.
Yes, but this assumes that you know what you do. We would simply skip the steps of conversion and reversion in between. But for students who still learn it, it's better not to skip steps. I remember integrals, where one substitution chased the other, so it's better to keep track of the boundaries. It's a potential source of mistakes.

fresh_42 said:
Yes, but this assumes that you know what you do.
That's true of many (most?) things in life. When I taught calculus (the most recent time being a year ago), when I was doing a definite integral with a u-substitution, I would explain that you could revise the limits of integration, as you did in post #10, or you could bring them along unchanged. Writing "x = " explicitly in the lower integration limit reinforces the idea that although the dummy variable of the integral is now u, we can't evaluate the antiderivative until we undo the substitution to get back to an expression in x.

Likes SammyS

1. What is integration using u substitution?

Integration using u substitution is a technique used in calculus to solve integrals that cannot be solved using basic integration rules. It involves replacing a variable in the integral with a new variable, u, and then using the chain rule to simplify the integral.

2. When should I use u substitution?

U substitution should be used when the integral contains a function within a function, and the inner function's derivative is also present in the integral. This technique is also useful when the integral contains a polynomial multiplied by a trigonometric function.

3. How do I choose the substitution variable u?

The substitution variable u should be chosen such that its derivative is present in the integral and will help simplify it. It is often helpful to choose u as the inner function in the integral or as a part of the integral that can be easily simplified.

4. What are the steps for solving an integration problem using u substitution?

The steps for solving an integration problem using u substitution are:

1. Identify the substitution variable u by looking for a function within a function or a polynomial multiplied by a trigonometric function.
  2. Find the derivative of u and substitute it into the integral.
  3. Simplify the integral using the chain rule.
  4. Integrate the simplified integral with respect to u.
  5. Substitute back in the original variable to get the final answer.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using u substitution?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using u substitution are:

• Choosing the wrong substitution variable u.
  • Forgetting to substitute back in the original variable after integrating with respect to u.
  • Incorrectly applying the chain rule when simplifying the integral.
  • Forgetting to include the constant of integration when integrating the simplified integral.