Intelligence vs Hard Work: What Matters More for Success?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of whether talent or hard work is more important for success. The individual asking the question shares their personal experience of relying on talent alone and it backfiring. They ask for scientific research or compilations of papers on the subject. Another individual shares their own thoughts and experiences, mentioning the importance of both intelligence and hard work. The conversation ends with a request for additional input and possible references to scientific papers on the topic.
ModusPonens
Hello

I am looking for scientific research done on the topic of "what is more important to success: talent or hard work?"

I've been plagued all my life with the idea that "since I have a very good talent I don't need to work much". It backfired really bad. So I would like to ask if anyone here knows of either individual research papers on this, or compilations of such papers. Scientific facts have a lot more weight in convincing me, than opinions.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only guy here with this flawed thinking, although perhaps the most severely affected. So if you have something pertinent to say on this, please share. Even if it's not what I am asking above.

:)

Science news on Phys.org
No scientific papers to reference right now, but I do have some comments for you since I can relate.

It's not just you and I don't mean to be presumptuous but I think it's very likely you aren't experiencing the worst of laziness backfiring. For smart people it can be hard to accept that there are others out there orders of magnitude smarter, but it is important to realize if you think that intelligence alone will get you everywhere. This was something I had to come to grips with my first time through college (I graduated by the way, but was a bad student). I never thought I was a genius or the smartest person in my peer group, but I implicitly thought that I had gifts that would carry me to great places on that alone. (No)

More to your point though, in my experience at the beginning of life intelligence outweighs hard work but there is a tipping point, usually in college, where this changes. The best combination is obviously smart plus hard working.

Interested to hear from others and to see if someone can reference a paper on this.

1. What is the difference between hard work and natural genius?

The main difference between hard work and natural genius is their origin. Hard work refers to the effort and dedication put into achieving a goal, while natural genius is the innate ability or talent one possesses. Hard work can be learned and developed, while natural genius is something a person is born with.

2. Which one is more important for success, hard work or natural genius?

Both hard work and natural genius are important for success. While natural genius can give a head start, hard work is necessary to reach one's full potential. In most cases, hard work is the deciding factor for success, as it allows individuals to continually improve and overcome challenges.

3. Can someone with natural genius become complacent and not work hard?

Yes, it is possible for someone with natural genius to become complacent and not work hard. However, this can limit their potential and hinder their success. Hard work is still necessary to fully develop and utilize natural genius.

4. Is it possible for someone without natural genius to achieve success through hard work?

Absolutely. While natural genius can give an advantage, hard work and determination can lead to success even without innate talent. Many successful individuals have achieved their goals through sheer hard work and perseverance.

5. Can natural genius be improved or developed through hard work?

Yes, natural genius can be improved and developed through hard work. While innate talent may give a head start, consistent effort and practice can further enhance and refine one's abilities. Hard work can also help individuals overcome any limitations that may come with natural genius.