Dark Matter Density Distribution

Mahsum
Homework Statement
This is not an homework. This is an term project for which I have to research. I can get help from anyone unless someone is not doing everthing. I can ask questions for this project.
Relevant Equations
I donot have any equation
Hello, I have asked a similar question before, but this time I want to ask it a bit differently to be understood better.

I am a physics student at a university and this semester I am going to make a term project about Dark Matter Density Distribution by using rotation curves. However, I am a bit lost. I have checked some papers related to this topic, but have not found everything that I am looking for. I may need to research it in much more detailed. So if you have papers related to the questions that I am going to ask, I would appreciate if you provide them to me.

I want to know what I will need to have as data and the methods I am going to use, step by step.

I have data of rotation curves for some galaxies. As I saw it in some papers, I will need V_bulge , V_disk , V_gas to find out V_DM. Then, I will need to use one of the profiles such as NFW.

These are so far what I have understood or I think I understood it. Could you guide me step by step if possible provide me with data and papers, please?

Thank you all

Physics news on Phys.org
Mahsum said:
I am a physics student at a university and this semester I am going to make a term project about Dark Matter Density Distribution by using rotation curves.
I want to know what I will need to have as data and the methods I am going to use, step by step.
Could you guide me step by step if possible provide me with data and papers, please?
That is not how term projects at university work: you need to find these things out for yourself.

Wikipedia is a good start: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter_halo

Likes berkeman

1. What is dark matter density distribution?

Dark matter density distribution refers to the way in which dark matter is distributed throughout the universe. It describes the varying concentrations of dark matter in different regions of space.

2. How is dark matter density distribution measured?

Dark matter density distribution is typically measured through observations of the gravitational effects of dark matter on visible matter, such as galaxies and galaxy clusters. Scientists also use computer simulations based on the laws of gravity and the distribution of visible matter to infer the distribution of dark matter.

3. What factors influence dark matter density distribution?

Dark matter density distribution is influenced by a variety of factors, including the initial conditions of the universe, the presence of visible matter, and the effects of dark energy. The distribution of dark matter is also affected by the gravitational interactions between dark matter particles.

4. Why is understanding dark matter density distribution important?

Understanding dark matter density distribution is important because dark matter makes up a significant portion of the total mass in the universe and plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of large-scale structures like galaxies and galaxy clusters. By studying the distribution of dark matter, scientists can gain insights into the nature of dark matter and the overall structure of the universe.

5. How does dark matter density distribution impact our understanding of the universe?

The distribution of dark matter has a profound impact on the large-scale structure of the universe, influencing the formation of galaxies, galaxy clusters, and other cosmic structures. By studying dark matter density distribution, scientists can better understand the processes that have shaped the universe over billions of years and gain insights into the fundamental properties of dark matter.